How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-13-2016, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsearcher View Post
Unfortunately, for a lot of us, using another DAW for MIDI isn't a viable option because Core Audio is broken. But that's not really the point. Sure, we can probably use rewire and Reason or some other solution to get things working but we shouldn't need to.
We're not talking about using another tool because it's best for the job. We're talking about having to use another tool because the one that we have been provided with is broken, and we paid a lot of money for a broken tool. If Protools was advertised and sold as a program that didn't offer Midi functionality than the argument to use the best tool for the job would be reasonable.
But that's not the case. Protools is marketed and sold as a product that can suit the needs of a modern music maker and MIDI functionality is part of that advertised and documented package.
There are problems/bugs with MIDI in PT that inhibit any kind of smooth workflow. We shouldn't have to entertain the idea of opening up another DAW.
I second that 100%
and furthermore:
I am willing to pay annual fees for a professional tool I am working on a daily basis in order to support further developments of that tool.
In return I should expect bugs to be fixed within reasonable time. That distinguish a professional tool from the rest………

unfortunately that is not the case with Pro Tools anymore

regards
Walter
Old 11-13-2016, 02:52 AM

- track's presets
- FX's presets (insert's rack presets)

please !!!!!
Old 11-13-2016, 03:08 AM

To me MIDI has always felt bolted on from the minute it first appeared, and hasn't really improved since. Just simple stuff like when you insert a plug-in whilst in play, or do some other processor-intensive activity, and all the MIDI VI stuff stops playing (but the audio files carry on playing fine).... and then BANG! The whole lot fire off in one go, smashing the poor speakers (and ears) to a pulp. Drives me f**king mad. It's dreadfully implemented, and the fact that these latency (etc) issues keep resurfacing only proves the point that it needs a serious overhaul. Unfortunately though it's quite hard to justify spending programming time fixing stuff when there are so many other features we're all crying out for, like Cloud Collaboration. (/sarcasm)

"PT 13.... now with MIDI you can actually trust!"
Old 11-13-2016, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaorum View Post
- track's presets
- FX's presets (insert's rack presets)

please !!!!!
+1000

And the ability to create & edit curves on midi controller data (cc) just like fade curves. (And yes I have put this on ideaScale.....several times)
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 11-13-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
To me MIDI has always felt bolted on from the minute it first appeared, and hasn't really improved since.
True but audio has always felt bolted on in the MIDI sequencer based DAWs.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post

Yes, but I'm not using them.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Pro Tools should be better than those guys (at everything.)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-13-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Pro Tools should be better than those guys (at everything.)
Agreed. Is there another DAW on the market that does this "all-notes-on-blast" thing from just selecting the correct MIDI port?

https://vid.me/bcZy

It's just not acceptable behaviour in this day and age.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
For me, the Mixer is everything. I guess we all have different bread and butter features, but as for now I'm just loving the PT Mix Window
+1
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
To me MIDI has always felt bolted on from the minute it first appeared, and hasn't really improved since. Just simple stuff like when you insert a plug-in whilst in play, or do some other processor-intensive activity, and all the MIDI VI stuff stops playing (but the audio files carry on playing fine).... and then BANG! The whole lot fire off in one go, smashing the poor speakers (and ears) to a pulp.
+100

ProTools runs my scoring template with lower total cpu usage than Cubase/Nuendo, but the pops when stopping playback, and issues you mention are annoying and unsettling. It wouldn't take much to make PT an excellent midi DAW. It doesn't need esoteric midi features - just fixes you've listed, and a few enhancements to midi editing. It already has advantages over midi-centric DAWs (better general workflow, better audio editing/mixing, etc).