Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 06-01-2021, 08:07 PM

Default Video Engine

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I worked with video in PT, but I have a project coming up that will require this. Is there anything I need to know to avoid nasty surprises?
Is Quicktime still required? What are the video formats that PT's video engine can handle? What is the least problematic format?

Any info on this topic would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2021, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Video Engine

You have a lot of details, but nothing about what operating system or what ProTools version you are using. Can't really answer specifically your questions without that info.
You will need QuickTime which is part of the OS on a Mac in Protools if you are using picture or video in your project. Anything past Mojave OS will require you to run the newer version which is 64 bit. The older QuickTime 7 Pro is dead after Mojave going forward.

I recently upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 and running perfectly! The movie bounce that is now out of beta works relatively well, but there are still some issues with selecting areas of the movie and bouncing certain sections without crashing.
If you just bounce the whole movie or a short section from the front of the project you will be fine. That seems to work fine.

Here is the latest info on Big Sur: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...e-Type-Support

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-02-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
You have a lot of details, but nothing about what operating system or what ProTools version you are using. Can't really answer specifically your questions without that info.
You will need QuickTime which is part of the OS on a Mac in Protools if you are using picture or video in your project. Anything past Mojave OS will require you to run the newer version which is 64 bit. The older QuickTime 7 Pro is dead after Mojave going forward.

I recently upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 and running perfectly! The movie bounce that is now out of beta works relatively well, but there are still some issues with selecting areas of the movie and bouncing certain sections without crashing.
If you just bounce the whole movie or a short section from the front of the project you will be fine. That seems to work fine.

Here is the latest info on Big Sur: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...e-Type-Support

G
Sorry. My system info is in my signature at the bottom of my post. I use Windows 10, with PT 2020.12. I can see you're on Mac. Any info for a Windows user?
Old 06-12-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Sorry. My system info is in my signature at the bottom of my post. I use Windows 10, with PT 2020.12. I can see you're on Mac. Any info for a Windows user?
not sure. Sorry. I am busy on some projects this week and also testing some stuff for Avid Actually for Qt movie bounce, which is still a bit probelmatic.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS