Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 PM

Default Logic not seeing HD Native card????

Hi
Although I use PT 10 for mixing and editing I prefer Logic 9 for composition. Im running the latest logic on 10.7.2. In logic prefs I normally select HD native as both input and output. Now theres only protools aggregate? HD native has gone from my devices list.

I trashed both logic and PT prefs and downloaded PT10.0.1 in case the update fixed this but it didn't make any difference. Any ideas why this has happened? Worked fine on the same version of Logic only a week ago...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Logic not seeing HD Native card????

I have had the same problem with Cubase 6/HD Native on occasion, it usually occurs when I've been using iTunes or another app that won't release the driver... use the Avid Core Audio manager to do this.

I've found that in all cases that a reboot of both the Mac and interface is the best starting place. Then whilst launching Pro Tools hold down the 'N' key, this will eventually give you access to a dialogue box that will allow you to select 'HD Native'. The PT application will then reboot and you should be good to go.

Ok, once you've done this, you should close the PT app and then open Logic and it will see the HD Native interface...

Yes, it's long winded but it usually works.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM

Hi
After a long day of sleuthing and some help from Digi tech support UK (thanks Dan), its been resolved. It turned out to be deeper than the Logic issue as core audio wasn't behaving itself and the Native card wouldn't work with the Mac at all except for with PT software. After uninstalling Pro Tools and installing the Avid core audio drivers still nothing, so I went back to my clean install system boot drive which was cloned a couple of weeks ago. Everything came back as it should be. Avid core audio drivers must have got corrupted. Its odd really as there were no system updates in between. I worked with the system on the back up drive and once satisfied I cloned it back to the main HD. Luckily all project files for all my apps reside on externals.

Thank you for your input - Im just posting results here in case any other users experience the same issue

Last edited by PT user; 02-21-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 AM

Glad you got sorted.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 AM

I am using Logic9 and ProTool HD 10 Native with OMNI. Now Logic has stopped showing HD Native in the Core Driver List. It was showing it....How to solve the issue .....Need help.....I have rebooted three times by now. three times my mac....
Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 AM

Hi
If you read my post above - a clean install was the only thing that cleared it. It's prob caused by a third party plug on conflict.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:07 PM

There is no need to reinstall Avid Core Driver. I raised the buffer size in Core Audio set up to 1028 samples and reloaded Logic. I could see HD Native in Logic Preference Audio display. Thanx forum
Old 05-25-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Rawat View Post
There is no need to reinstall Avid Core Driver. I raised the buffer size in Core Audio set up to 1028 samples and reloaded Logic. I could see HD Native in Logic Preference Audio display. Thanx forum
Phew good fix, just happened to me now. This works for me

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 AM

Well.
To me it is more than a wish to see AVID work on their Core Audio drivers for HD Native and HDX cards.
AVID must understand that regular Core Audio applications are part of many professional workflows even though we all love Pro Tools.

As an example, in our studio we work with:
Pro Tools as the main mixing software
Logic audio (a lot of clients compose on this platform)
Media composer 6
Final Cut Pro
Many Adobe Application like audition, Premiere and After effect that all rely on a quality Core Audio Driver.
I WOULD LOVE TO USE ONE AND ONLY HD Native CORE AUDIO DRIVER for all !!!!

The bottom line is that most audio card manufacturers have worked on very efficient Core Audio Drivers (Multiclient, low latency). What is the problem with AVID?

I would be more than happy if an AVID programmer could explain why it is so much harder to write a proper Multiclient Core Audio driver for AVID audio cards and especially the HD Native that has no proprietary audio processing and mixing inside like TDM and HDX have.
i suspect there are issues with legacy hardware and the nature of TDM, but current HD native PCIe cards should not be very different from other manufacturer's typical soundcards I guess.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:30 PM

If Logic or any other DAW does not recognize the HD card, try the following:

1. Quit Logic
2. In your applications folder go to the Avid folder, then pro tools, then double click on Avid CoreAudio Manager.
Now open Logic and you should see the HD Native option in CoreAudio.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or the way HD Native reacts, but once you configure it then it will almost always launch automatically, but sometimes you might have to launch it manually.