Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Unhappy PT9 Crashing when importing audio from an audio CD

My 'File' menu

'Import'

'Audio'

option crashes ProTools version 9.06.

I am running on Windows 64 bit professional OS and Intel i7 CPU 970 @3.20Ghz and have 12GB of RAM.

I navigate to the AUDIO CD in the DVD drive - and the list of files currently on the disc display in the file list window.

But when I then click on a track to select it I get a message which says:

>>

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.

Runtime error!
Program:C Program Files (x86) Digidesign ProTools ProTools.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

<<

ProTools then stops responding / working and I have to use Windows to force the ProTools program to close.

Could it be that Windows is trying to run its media player in the background and that PT causes a conflict?

Do I need to disable Windows media player - if so how ?

Any help appreciated.

Yes I have the reference manuals. And I have read them and I have a training DVD (ProTools 9 essential training with David Frantz by Lynda.com.) I was following the instructions in that on how to import audio files from an audio CD although they show it working on a MAC and not Windows 7 64 bit.

If you are running PT9 on Windows 7 64 bit could you check this out for me please?

Is this a bug or is it something wrong with my computer set up?

Thanks.

I'm new to Pro Tools and this is my first ever post. I searched the forum but didn't find any mention of it crashing when importing audio from an audio cd.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Re: PT9 Crashing when importing audio from an audio CD

Sorry,

I wanted to post this in the PT9 Windows Forum but can't see how to move it there.

My appologies it is the first time I've used this Forum.

Anyone know how I can move this to the correct place - I looked under edit but couldn't see how to move the post.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 PM

You can go to the EDIT page and find the Delete option and repost, or maybe the admin will move it. Meanwhile, I am pretty sure this is a known issue and your best bet is to rip the files with another program. I use Wavelab, but I think iTunes can do it. Just remember to go to the iTunes settings and tell it to import with no compression or conversion as iTunes should be capable of ripping at 16 bit, 44.1K.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2012, 03:18 PM

I had this problem in PT8 after installing a new plugin. A re-install of the 2005 C++ redistributable fixed it.

Not sure if that will cure it in PT9 (it doesn't cure it in PT10 even if you reinstall both 2005 & 2010 redistributables).

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 01-11-2012, 01:44 AM

OK thanks very much for the replies.

It would be nice if Avid could confirm that this is a known issue they are working on or if this is something I could fix by changing something on my PC.

also the read me before posting section asks:

'Have you done everything in the Setup and General Troubleshooting thread?', so we'll want to know that you've done ALL of it and, if you've not done everything, we need to know what you have or have not done, as this can have a huge impact on further troubleshooting.

I looked for this Setup and General Troubleshooting thread but couldnt find it - it doesnt come up in the forum serach engine and there is no link to it on the FAQ page.

If this 'Setup and General Troubleshooting thread' is so important there should be a link to it.

Id like to check that I've done everything recommended there and see if that fixes the problem.

Can someone paste the correct link to this 'Setup and General Troubleshooting thread'?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 AM

I have the same problem with PT 10. I posted the question in the Spanish forum, but got no help yet. But the tool is very basic and important to work smoothly. You can not bypass this using other software. I hope that people from Avid to quickly find the solution because my job is impaired.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM

I have also this problem. Searching help from Pro Tools support reveals that there is no help. No answers, noone to mail to. Noone to telephone. This is more and more the picture of Pro Tools/Avid. Installation and Ilock is hell on earth and takes days to figure out when i does not work as it should.
If anybody has a solution or Pro Tools ventually have a fix to this bug (crashes all on import from CD), please post it loud and clear.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:22 PM

Smile Re: PT9 Crashing when importing audio from an audio CD

Fixed issue with 10.0.1 update
Old 12-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Thanks to everyone who has replied and offered their experiences.

I am still alive which I guess is the main thing

ALthough last week I discoved my chemotherapy regime wasn't working anymore and my Pancreatic tumours have started growing again.

I am now on a new chemotherapy regime and also starting targetted radiotherapy after Christmas on January 2nd.

I am still learning mty way around Pro Tools 9 but I do intend to upgrade to version 10 soon.

I am glad to hear it is working in version 10.

That is another reason to upgrade soon.

I have a feeling that 64 bit PT 11 is closer than many think and I would not be suprised to hear this anounced sooner rather than later.

I will upgrade to 10 and then go from 10 to 11 when 11 is updated twice becuase mucjh though I like bug busting and contributing to the success of PT - because of my medical condition I wont have extra time available to be making music and in effect beta testing. I need a stable product.

I wouln't mind doing beta testing for Avid - but I just think this year might well be my last and as a father and husband I have other things to prepare and do.