Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-30-2007, 07:00 AM

Default preserving dialog editor\'s volume automation

we sometimes receive tracks from editors with volume automation written to the tracks and the mixers of course prefer to have all the faders flat to start. in the past we had tried copying the automation into a trim plugin. but due to the latency of that plugin, we would sometimes get clicks, pops, or snippets where the automation just wouldn't translate properly.

i would like to try copying this automation into the trim *playlist*, now that it can stay separate from the volume playlist. has anyone else done this successfully? it seems like it should work but i know that the trim value is just a delta value so i'm wondering if there is something i'm not considering.

thanks,
matt
Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: preserving dialog editor\'s volume automation

Copying unequal information is posssible. You need to paste the information by using the ctrl-key additionally: CTRL+COMMAND+V.
On the other hand you could duplicate the track and just tick the automation to be duplicated.
Or paste the volume automation into the volume trim automation, and deactivate the volume trim automation.

Hope this helps,

Timothy
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM

thanks timothy. yes i know how to copy it over. i would cntrl copy the volume playlist to the trim playlist and then flatten out the volume playlist.

i'm more interested to know if it would translate ok. since trim is a relative value and volume is an absolute value....
Old 11-30-2007, 10:45 AM

Another way is to copy the volume information to the input automation of the EQ plug-in of each track.

IMDB Credits
Old 11-30-2007, 10:55 AM

that would be cool but this mixer has a waves q10 at the top of his chain and its range is from -24 to zero so i don't believe it would translate properly. is there a particular eq plugin you've used that works?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
that would be cool but this mixer has a waves q10 at the top of his chain and its range is from -24 to zero so i don't believe it would translate properly. is there a particular eq plugin you've used that works?
You will end up with automation that starts at a nulpoint that's 12db lower, so you rais the output of the Q1O to maximum.

I still find it completely unacceptable that there is latency on the trim plugin.

IMDB Credits
Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 AM

aha! that is great. i'll propose that as well then. thanks mark.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:33 AM

Matt,
Henchmans idea is a good one except in your case the Q10 has a problem with hot peaks. It sounds like a screen door slamming when it gets hit too hard.I lower the input 3db and raise the output 3db so it's back at unity. If you don't and now you input hot dialog it will sound bad.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Matt,
Henchmans idea is a good one except in your case the Q10 has a problem with hot peaks. It sounds like a screen door slamming when it gets hit too hard.I lower the input 3db and raise the output 3db so it's back at unity. If you don't and now you input hot dialog it will sound bad.
True. What I've been doing is using the Q10 as an RTAS plug-in. This distortion then does not occur. I think it's because the RTAS is 32 bit float.

I prefer the Equim plugin for notch filtering over the Q10, but most studio's don't have it. So, you use what they got, and be happy.

IMDB Credits
Old 11-30-2007, 02:18 PM

Is this true? RTAS plugins have 32bit floating input/output bus path vs. 24bit fixed input/output bus path of TDM?

Phil