Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 06-13-2006, 09:27 PM

Default copy/pasting insert plug ins

ive looked thru the manual.....is there a way to copy a plug in that i want on 5 0r so tracks(inserts)....but i dont want to make an aux send track? or do i just have to make a template?

to further explain...say i have a reverb setting on a vocal and i want it on 5 others ...can i copy that plug in and paste it to other tracks? just wondering....

i know i should just make an aux track and send how many ever to it.....but i still would have to put a send bus on each track....that takes almost as much time as putting a plug in on each track...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:12 PM

Default Re: copy/pasting insert plug ins

To copy a plug-in to another track, while holding Alt key drag the plug to the track you want. Since ProTools 7 you can do the same with sends. Note that if number of channels on the destination differs from original track ProTools wont let you copy it.
As far as reverbs, I'm not sure if you are aware of how much resources one instance takes but they use a LOT! Yes, its very convenient to do it with an EQ or dynamic plug but verbs and delays are different.
I usually use 2-4 different reverbs in one session which covers all the environments I want the session to live in. If you use different reverb on every track then - first: you run out of processing power FAST; Second: if reverb types are different from each other it creates a huge mess withtin the spectrum of your session. Human ear gets very distracted by many differences in sound reflections.
Finally, once all busses are named correctly Ctrl-click on two little triangle(arrows) of a send and it'll display a mini mixer of all the sends, so there you have your analog console controls which is so much more convenient than having a plug for a reverb on every track.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:43 AM

thanks...ya i know reverbs a bad example.....one i like to copy alot is cranesong phoenix and rchannel from waves....ill try it out
Old 06-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Preplanning, templates, etc should become habit early on IMO.

In case a situation presents a new scenario the template or preplanning did not account for, there are easy ways around this little dilema..

Using Alt+Click->select on an insert or send will create identicle instantiations across all like-width tracks visible. Using this to your advantage is a nice trick. For instance: you mention using a Phoenix plugin across multiple tracks. Let's say you are doing drums, and have all mono tracks to insert it on, and this was not preplanned in a template. Simple: group 'em, "show only.." and then use Alt+Click->Select Phoenix mono TDM. Walla! It is now instantiated across all the mono tracks. If you have a stereo OH and/or room going as well, simply insert after for that one.

Alt+Click->Select also work son sends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.