Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-01-2005, 07:26 AM

Default LIVE REC W/ PT LE AND MULTI CAMERA SHOOT?

i do live recordings in various venues with my PT LE rig, and i just got a call for a quote for doing a live multitrack recording along side of a multi camera shoot. i don't quite have all the details yet, but if i understand this correctly wihout the possibility of timecode sync in LE, can i just record audio indipendent of the multi-video, do a 2 ch mix and provide it to the avid editor to just drop in their timline and manually slide it into position? my worry is drift over time, but not sure if this is an issue doing it this way. i have access to a box that takes timecode in and converts to midi timecode. if timecode is even in the picture, can i use a box like this to sync my LE system to the video timecode feed? this has potential to be many more gigs like this down the line and i for sure don't want to blow it on the first try. any tips from anyone here would rock!

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 06-01-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: LIVE REC W/ PT LE AND MULTI CAMERA SHOOT?

Your recorded Audio is unlikely to drift significantly over a period 15-20mins if everyone is using modern digital equipment.
BUT
the picture guys need timecoded audio to fit with their timecoded pictures.
No-one wants to risk losing sync, it's a nightmare.
The picture editor may not be happy just knowing it was well recorded onto Pro Tools.

consider hiring a portable timecode audio recorder for the day to get it right.

Check out the DV toolkit for information too.

best.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:40 AM

You'll want to video reference your system... I suggest a MOTU Digital Time Piece.. and clock via S/PDIF... resolve to house black burst/video reference.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-02-2005, 04:05 AM

LE won't sync up to any clock source that's useful in this situation. you need to be slaved to the cameras with the timecode that everyone else is getting, along with the black burst. The MOTU digital Timepiece will only help your TDM system.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:15 AM

i figured it would not be easy...

so really there is no box that i can take timecode in and slave to the tc via midi? i understand LE is "limited" and cheap for a reason, i know they gotta cut somewhere. but i've learned over time that sometimes you can make things work with the right add-on rack gear. since this is a full live show,2 hours+ for a final edited video, i am leaning towards not taking chances on this with an LE system...unless someone here has some alternative? the alternative to PT LE that comes to mind is maybe a motu mtp av and digital performer? or a tdm mix system being a more costly yet beter solution if this becomes long term?

thanks, guys for all your responses!

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 06-02-2005, 01:47 PM

There are 2 way to do it on an LE system but it's not professional. I've done it and it worked fine.

the trick is get an analogue feed of the timecode signal and record it at the same time into your session (Digi001 or Digi002 needed). Later on you can deliver a timecoded DAT or similar.

The other way is to have a pre-recorded timecode signal on your LE set-up (Digi001 or Digi002 needed) and run everything from you (yeah, right!). Of course, you won't be locked to anything (black burst / house sync / whatever you call it).

Go professional.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:15 PM

i thought about these exact scinerios, but dismissed them for exactly what you said - to "go professional".

i agree. if i am gonna do it, i gotta do it right. the upfront cost is miniscual in the grand scheme.

thanks again for everyone's comments

Old 06-02-2005, 07:53 PM

Quote:
LE won't sync up to any clock source that's useful in this situation. you need to be slaved to the cameras with the timecode that everyone else is getting, along with the black burst. The MOTU digital Timepiece will only help your TDM system.
Absolutely incorrect!! Using a DTP and clocking the 002 via S/PDIF will let you clock to any clock source... just like a TDM system.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-03-2005, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely incorrect!! Using a DTP and clocking the 002 via S/PDIF will let you clock to any clock source... just like a TDM system.

Rail
But no timecode, so i make a valid point, not absolutely incorrect.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:16 AM

okay on this note, if i clocked to a DTP device, converted timecode to midi timecode and slaved PT to that along with spdif clock, would that work? at this point i am only pondering theories, not as if i will actually implement this, not for this gig any way...

but in this scenario, if i went to the picture editor's location with my system post-shoot, then clocked to his edited video in the exact same way to lay the audio in with the video, wouldn't i be time locked in this case no matter how long the picture would be? i would be receiving clock and timecode from his/her system and slaving in the same way above as the camera shoots, rather than sending a mixed audio file and hoping for the best. am i crazy for even thinking this might work?