Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM

Default Re: HD Omni Mini-Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I'm considering either the new Mbox Pro or HD Omni. I don't have the money or want to go for a full HD setup with the current pci cards.

Is is possible to use the Omni only as a AD/DA converter (for my preamps, headphones and speakers) going s/pdif into my Mbox2Pro ?
The Mbox2Pro has S/PDIF both in and out.
Personally, I would get the MBox and something considerably more worth your while for a lot less money.

Sure, the Omni could potentially be used with the MBox... but for $3000 just to end up using only 2 of the I/O seems like a waste, unless you're preparing for the inevitable.

I recommend pairing an MBox with something more along the lines of an API A2D. Great converters and great pres, and you won't feel like you're missing out on anything. Plus, you can easily find one for half the price of an Omni.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 PM

The need for HD is getting blurred a lot more by the increase in power of computers, and so an LE system on an 003, or an MBox Pro turns out to be pretty damn powerful. And with the options of Complete Production Toolkit and the like, track count, surround capability, etc, can rival an HD rig.

If you don't specifically need TDM plugs, or ADC, I'd really be looking at LE with maybe DV Toolkit.

I got this interface because I already own an HD3 rig, and it's proving a great match for that.

As for standalone mode, I haven't used it that way. But someone asked if you need ProTools HD to configure it. There is a setup menu on the device, but I can't say for sure that you can get at everything you need with it. Certainly having ProTools makes it much easier to configure.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I had asked about this too. The manual seems to say the Omni works standalone, but I don't if anyones actually tried it yet, or if it works with all 8 channels, or just 2, etc.

Also, I don't know if you need to hook it up to the HD software to configure it this way. If that were the case, we'd need to book 15 minutes in a studio that has HD in order to configure it.

Only the "L" and "R" channels from your assigned Monitor path will pass audio from the inputs which were selected in the Mixer tab of the Hardware Setup window when no session is open or Pro Tools is not launched. The one exception is when a Mono Monitor path has been selected. In this case the inputs selected in the Mixer tab will be summed to your Mono monitor path.

-Jeff
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 PM

So if you connect your stereo digital in/out (eg: MacPro's digital in/out) to Omni's digital in/out, can you use the mic pre and monitoring functions?

In other words, can Omni work as a standalone converter/monitor controller/preamp if you just need to work in stereo?
John 3:16
Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 PM

So after working with it for a while, is practical to use it as a mixer substitute even though there's a fan? I've got my 192 in a AcoustiLok case now and would be nervous about sticking a fan right in front of me. On the surface, a fan in a device intended to be used in front of an operator doesn't seem like the smartest of plans, but maybe the fan is really really quiet. Anyone using it as such? I'd love to be able sell off my surround volume knob and upgrade my converters.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:20 PM

I have yet to hear the fan in mine, and I'm in a non air-conditioned room, where the temperature is often in the 80s. If you activate the fan manually, it's quite loud, and is designed for when you're placing it in a control room, etc.

But so far in a week+ of using it, the fan hasn't become audible so far once.

It's MUCH quieter than my 96, or any 192 that I've heard. So yeah, for me, it can take the place of a mixer in that sense, it's quiet enough.

Still hoping for a desktop remote for it though, would really increase functionality.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Yeah I'm kind of confused too.

SO...the CHEAPEST way to get Omni up and running is what?

But Omni and a PCI-X card? Or do those cards even work in a Mac Pro?

thanks
T
Old 09-24-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
The need for HD is getting blurred a lot more by the increase in power of computers, and so an LE system on an 003, or an MBox Pro turns out to be pretty damn powerful. And with the options of Complete Production Toolkit and the like, track count, surround capability, etc, can rival an HD rig.

If you don't specifically need TDM plugs, or ADC, I'd really be looking at LE with maybe DV Toolkit.

I got this interface because I already own an HD3 rig, and it's proving a great match for that.

As for standalone mode, I haven't used it that way. But someone asked if you need ProTools HD to configure it. There is a setup menu on the device, but I can't say for sure that you can get at everything you need with it. Certainly having ProTools makes it much easier to configure.
There is nothing like HD for stability or monitoring with no latency. I know because I've had both in the past and am currently native, no comparison...JMHO. Got my eyes on OMNI, thanks for the report!

Tom
Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Tom until Digi comes out with some new cards, and no one knows for sure if or when that will happen, even if we suspect it must be in the works, the easiest way to get into the Omni and HD would be with a single HD Core PCIe card, if you're on a Mac Pro.

The PCIx cards won't work with a Mac Pro, you'd also need some type of expansion chassis. Note, this STILL could be a cheaper route than a single PCIe card though. PCIx cards have dropped in a price lately, a single PCIx Core can be had for about $1600 on eBay. And a Magma PE6R4 is about $2300, and would allow you later to add up to 6 PCIx HD cards.

There are some cheaper chassis, but I believe only the PE6R4 is supported by Avid these days, although I know people running even the 2 slot Magma chassis without real problems. I believe latency increases. If you can live with that, compensate for it, you could go a smaller Magma and a PCIx card.

Right now, the Omni won't do anything with any of the current LE systems.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Tom until Digi comes out with some new cards, and no one knows for sure if or when that will happen, even if we suspect it must be in the works, the easiest way to get into the Omni and HD would be with a single HD Core PCIe card, if you're on a Mac Pro.

The PCIx cards won't work with a Mac Pro, you'd also need some type of expansion chassis. Note, this STILL could be a cheaper route than a single PCIe card though. PCIx cards have dropped in a price lately, a single PCIx Core can be had for about $1600 on eBay. And a Magma PE6R4 is about $2300, and would allow you later to add up to 6 PCIx HD cards.

There are some cheaper chassis, but I believe only the PE6R4 is supported by Avid these days, although I know people running even the 2 slot Magma chassis without real problems. I believe latency increases. If you can live with that, compensate for it, you could go a smaller Magma and a PCIx card.

Right now, the Omni won't do anything with any of the current LE systems.

Right got you...yeah not worth the PCI X headache...have to go for the PCIe....thanks....good to hear you are that impressed though with Omni!

Thanks
Tom