Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 03:41 PM

Default PT 7.3 VCA automation bug?

Hey Everyone,

Ran into this the other day, narrowly missing a GIGANTIC headache, wondered if anyone has seen this:

PT 7.3 HD rig, running on windows.

Had a finished mix session for a long form documentary (80-100 tracks). Before the client came into playback they made 3 small changes to picture which resulted in the mix session needing to be conformed to picture...

I determined the changes (which, thankfully were minor: added a production card at the head, elongated a fade to black a few frames, etc.) and set about conforming the mix session to match final picture for playback.

I used alt-H (option-H on MAC) move command to shift the material by the set amount of frames (making sure "automation follows edit" was selected). I finished the small conform and started playing back the mix in spots to check it- and everything seemed completely wrong. Suddenly music seemed to dip and swell in the wrong places... I double checked the music and the music automation and everything moved properly during the conform.

HOWEVER. The automation on the VCA masters for the grouped tracks DID NOT MOVE. I've used this option-H for conforming material for years, and all the automation on every track moves just fine: both automation associated with regions (on audio tracks) as well as automation not associated with regions (on aux sends, buses, masters). However, just the VCA tracks ignored the move command and stayed in their original position.

I was able to move them by nudging them manually with the < and > keys however. While this was a small pain in the butt, it saved the day and allowed the session to be conformed for the early AM client playback...

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this- or maybe it's a PC only software bug, but be warned that if you're conforming a finished session and using option-H along with VCA automation- keep a close eye on your VCA automation when making moves, because it might not be moving along.

\\V
Old 10-02-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: PT 7.3 VCA automation bug?

hi vince,

i've noticed this too and it's been in there for a while. unfortunately it's been flagged a few threads but digi has never acknowledged it as a bug.

it is a pain and i wind up changing my nudge value and use that instead.

matt
Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 PM

I've experienced this. It is not an option for everyone, but I usually just Coelesce VCA Master Automation prior to conforming. I know of many reasons why you would not want to do that. But I find it the easiest solution.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:59 AM

I was very disapointed when I first noticed this bug. They should fix it.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:20 PM

this still ain't fixed in 7.4 and that sucks. and, i've noticed that doing a 'repeat paste to fill selection' doesn't work on vca tracks either in 7.4.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 PM

I suggest that in this situation that you Coalesce all the VCA automation to the tracks, then perform the automation edits as per usual. That will work. It then had the added benefit that the VCA is reset to zero so that any other trim tweaks are possible. This does not excuse the fact that this is probably a bug, however.
Simon L.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 AM

Is this fixed in Protools 8?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 AM

yup. yay.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:13 PM

Thanks Colin!
As I see you were more committed to the 'repeat paste to fill selection', is the 'shift' command also fixed for VCA?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM

i like both commands equally... they both work now.