Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Disturbing automation bug in 7.3.1.cs2?

Another question -

Do you all have the "warning" turned on or off? (the one where you get a warning after doing a "write to").

I'm trying to find out if anyone ever gets the warning even when they didn't do a "write to" command. If you do, that means the actual "write to" command is getting triggered somehow.

If everyone has the warning turned on already, then that's a piece of information that might be useful.

Thanks for your patience, folks.

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM

Try turning ADC off to see if the bug persists. This sounds vaguely familiar to a bug that sporadically plagues me that has continued across a couple PT versions(at least 6.9 to 7.2). That bug: when ADC is on, track in touch mode, volume automation written throughout track, often I would stop playback, back tab to the beginning of a region, adjust the fader and then hit play. Sometimes, but not always, the new fader value would be written from that point to the end of the track and no fader automation would be written for that track until playback was stopped and restarted. If I had to guess, this happened about 1 out of 8 times. It happened with different controllers and on Mac and Win systems. Turning off ADC was the only way to absolutely eliminate the bug. Understandably, there needs to be compensation for fader performance recorded into PT, and I suspect therein is a weakness.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 PM

1) Is anyone in loop playback mode?
YES
2) If you catch this while viewing the automation playlist, does the data loss happen right when you hit play, or does it happen for sure right when you hit stop ( i.e. do you still get the data of the automation write pass recorded or not? )
WHEN I HIT STOP
3) Is delay comp enabled?
NO
4) Is this happening only in a "trim" mode?
NO, IN 'NORMAL' AUTOMATION MODE

also:
ADC IS OFF

i think the warnings are on. it is set to whatever the default is... i'll check.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 AM

We're still searching for clues here, as we still have not been able to reproduce this yet.

Question - Are you *all* using control surfaces?

Also, I'd like you to try one possible workaround - uncheck "automation thinning" (don't set the popup to "none," but uncheck the box instead).

Please report back and let me know if this helps

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 08-21-2007, 03:03 PM

Although I asked this before, we may have isolated this down where the bug only happens when the transport is in "Loop" mode.

Brandon (and others) - it is NOT necessary for you to be actually looping a selection for this to happen - it is only necessary to have the loop icon visible in the transport window while automating, and subsequently hitting "stop."

Please confirm that the bug only occurs when the transport is in Loop mode (or that it doesn't happen when NOT in loop mode).

Thanks!

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 09-21-2007, 11:51 AM

We unchecked thinning automation and still got the error.

We're testing the loop playback mode thingy now.

One of the mixers had a good idea for anyone testing this. Make a spike in your volume automation at the end of your reel and it will be easier to see if the automation is being overwritten.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 AM

good news, sort of....

we turned off loop playback mode and mixed for three hours without any more errors. the mixers were getting them every 10 minutes or so at the beginning of the day so we are fairly certain that this alleviated the problem. if others have the opportunity to confirm, please let us know.

thanks,
matt