Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-26-2022, 02:48 PM

Default Insert (plugins) order and Undo?

Hi! I have decided to learn Pro Tools as I need it for mixing and I REALLY like how stable and fast it is, however I cannot solve an issue. I am playing around in the mix window and when I create an insert chain with a few plugins I can't find an option to rearrange the order of the plugins on a track other than pulling them one by one to another slot. If I drag a plugin over another, it just replaces that plugin.

Also, when I accidentally replace a plugin by dragging and dropping another one, there is no Undo option so I have to go back to a saved version of the session and start over.

What am I missing here?

Last edited by PortWill; 11-26-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Insert (plugins) order and Undo?

Not missing a thing. That's just how it works in Pro Tools(and it is a popular request). Some things to remember:
1-If you really can't pay attention enough to avoid dropping on top of a plugin you want to keep, you might think about working the changes in a different order.
2-you can use the track next door(so to speak) as a place keeper(if its got plugins, you could also create a new blank track and then delete it later. Just make sure that track is the same "width"(as in mono, stereo, 5.1, etc)
3-you can leave empty slots anywhere you like(I almost always leave slot A open for Melodyne, just in case).
4-if you are putting reverb or delay plugins directly on audio tracks, consider putting them on separate AUX tracks and use sends to "feed" those effects. This is often a more efficient way to use those effects, and would be fewer plugins that you might need to move

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-27-2022, 06:41 AM

Thank you for the detailed answer. I think the best solution will be to have another track as you mentioned and drag plugins for A/B-ing.

This is obviously not an issue when it comes to live channels but becomes more of a hassle when it comes to mastering and trying out different chains with EQs, saturators and various compressors all doing slightly different tasks. It is not hard to accidentally drag & drop when you are used to this kind of workflow in literally any other DAW It means I will need to have a slightly different workflow now.

I appreciate the tip about the empty slots, that makes so much sense!! Thanks a ton!
Old 11-28-2022, 06:55 PM

I agree with Albee. It's a good idea to leave the A insert empty.

If you decide to swap effect order or to add something like a tape simulator, that may introduce latency when tracking, its nice to have an empty slot instead of having to move everything around.

I tend to insert a channel strip (like SSL) onto each channel (hold down option when selecting the plugin). I'll do this on the second or third slot and that way I have a good starting point as well as some room to expand either way.

Enjoy ProTools!

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-29-2022, 01:21 PM

Another thing to think about is to get into a habit of putting certain types of plugins in certain slots across all your tracks such as:
Slot A-open
Slot B-EQ
Slot C-compressor
etc. based on what plugins you use. There's also no problem with leaving an empty slot anywhere else either(which gives you a little buffer for moving things around)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-30-2022, 05:01 AM

Thank you so much for the tips, the option+select trick is also very neat. I have already started using the slots as "placeholders" for different types of plugins.

Man, Pro Tools looked like a dinasour at first and the more I learn about it the more I feel like I was missing features that could have sped up my process recording and mixing. It is very well thought out. Also, what surprises me is the stability and speed.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortWill View Post
Thank you so much for the tips, the option+select trick is also very neat.
If you add 'shift', it will happen on all selected tracks.

Option = happens on all tracks
Option-shift = happens on all selected tracks

This applies to inserts, sends, I/O, solo, mute, almost anything you do to tracks.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:29 AM

There are 10 slots for inserts on tracks. Is this not enough room to move things around in?
Old 11-30-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
There are 10 slots for inserts on tracks. Is this not enough room to move things around in?
I think the OP's issue was that you can't pull a plugin out from say insert one and drop it between slot three and four if they're occupied. You have to move them around to free up the slot. I think it's a good idea.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Yes but if you accidentally move one on top of another and blow it away it would be nice to undo it.