Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2009, 03:23 AM

Default Audio files dragged in from DigiBase

Hi all

Probably missing something really obvious here.

I use an SFX catalog in DigiBase to search and audition effects and recordings, etc. Descriptions are embedded in the 'File Comment' metadata, so I use the 'File Comment' field in the Workspace when doing searches.

My problem is when I drag audio onto the timeline / region list, Pro Tools uses the 'File Name' to name the file, not the 'File Comment', which actually contains the useful information and not a XX1-001-01 library number. This isn't a problem when using my own recordings, as the File Name usually has enough info, but when using library stuff my timeline quickly fills up with 'PE-...' 'SI-...', etc.

I have worked in facilities where the audio is named using the File Comment, so am pretty sure this is possible.

I am using Pro Tools HD 7.3.1.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Audio files dragged in from DigiBase

You´ll have to manually use the "copy file comment to clip name" command in the project browser AFTER your drag-drop.

BUT: This commend only works in Catalogs

So would only help if you used those instead of draging from the finder.

I don´t think there is a way to do it easily unless you use something like soundminer for spotting instead.

Frank.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:28 AM

Hi Frank

Yes, I am dragging files in from the catalog.

Am I being blind? I cannot see a 'copy file comment to clip name' command in any windows of the project /workspace / catalog browsers.

Cheers
Old 08-20-2009, 04:32 AM

Have found the commands under the Catalog browser options, but when I select them nothing happens
Old 08-20-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZE View Post
Have found the commands under the Catalog browser options, but when I select them nothing happens
Hm...well, there you go. The wonder-world of the ProTools browsers....

(which is why I´ve been using soundminer for years)

Sorry, I´m out of wisdom on that one. I actually never use catalogs. Maybe someone else will chime in.

best of luck,

frank.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:01 AM

Hi Frank.

Seems to work if you search and drag in from the catalog window, and not from the workspace, so thanks for pointing out the command.

There is some kind of bug though, as after selecting 'copy file comments to clip names' for example, there is no tick or indicator to show it has been selected.

Perhaps this is a HD 7.3.1 thing?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Digibase was much anticipated and looked forward to but the reality is that the SFX DB I made in FMP (and I'm not a programer) had almost the same power and was quite a bit better in some ways. It's better than nothing but not a lot. Soundminer is the #1 choice but there are others that also run circles around DigiBase. Snapper, from Audio Ease has some of the functionality that is missing. Though it does no cataloging you can audition, in a nice resizable window, and select a bit and then spot to the PT cursor. A fundamental function missing from DigiBase. Didn't mean to rant but PT added this "BIG" feature and other than getting more file format details it really isn't any better than using the Finder, and the cost is not being able to eject disks with out opening a browser window to do it.