Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 10:59 PM

Default To track in a different room or not?

right now i'm tracking vocals in my living room. it has pretty good acoustics and is fairly dead. i'm just not really comfortable singing in it because i've had to kinda of be confined to a corner so the place can still be livable. the whole setup is a bit awkward, the room just isn't made for it.

i thought about moving it into my bedroom, which would be perfect as far as the layout of the room goes. however, the room has a bit more echo to it (which is good when i'm singing in the room with my guitar, but for recording i'm guessing it's not such a great idea).

i'm recording pretty close (4"-6") to a telefunken elam251. does it really even matter with such a mic? if it really does i was considering either singing from a corner outward towards the room with a bedsheet hung OR singing into the corner with a bedsheet hung on the wall.

any thoughts/tips/tricks?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:01 AM

Default Re: To track in a different room or not?

you can use acustic foam ,that would do the trick . we are (imho) spending allot of money buying gear - mic's , preamp's , synth's etc.... ,but the most important thing is missing in most cases and it is good acoustics , no matter how good our gear is wheter if its a protools hd3 system our a little mbox with allthe pre amps in the world a neumenn u87 , avalon deisgn , plugins of any kind , genelec or dynaudio monitors if will put it all in a room that has no acoustic tretmeant finnaly after mixing mastering with all the lalent in the world it would sound semi proffesional.
we are able today, to record a full album with a single computer and an interface with compability that ten years ago would not have shamed any big studio , but if we wont treat our room with alittle acoustic foam or any other acoustic treatment there is nothing in the world that would make it sound pro.
the cost is nearly half the cost of a good pair of monitors , i have installed the auralex roominator alpha dts kit in my 8 square metter room and i cant belive the change that it made to my mixes and even to my recordings , atlast i record only what i want my mic to capture and no other irataiting frequancies or hums,
try it

www.auralex.com
neumann tlm103
Tlaudio 5051 v.2
genelec 1030
yamaha p-90
Old 10-21-2004, 05:59 AM

Auralex is great but can be pricey. If you can afford it, get it, although it isn't very aesthetically pleasing in living accomodation (OK for dedicated spare room). BIG BUT, if you can't afford it, a sheet is no use whatsoever. You need a heavy duvet at least, preferably a big old mattress, and, assuming a cardiod pattern, the mic should be pointing at the mattress, not you, i.e. you'll have your back to the mattress.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE]
Auralex is great but can be pricey. If you can afford it, get it, although it isn't very aesthetically pleasing in living accomodation[QUOTE]

i just bought my kit a few days ago , it costed me 500$!!!!!! we spend allot more if we need pre's and mic's that wouldnt solve anything - auralex has a price range for everyone so it is really not that pricy , as for astetics.....from a vareity of coulers and shapes i believe that the auralex kit are much nicer to the eays then a blanket or mattress......but thats just my point of view
neumann tlm103
Tlaudio 5051 v.2
genelec 1030
yamaha p-90
Old 10-21-2004, 09:10 AM

this stuff is cheap
http://www.foambymail.com
Old 10-21-2004, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Auralex is great but can be pricey. If you can afford it, get it, although it isn't very aesthetically pleasing in living accomodation (OK for dedicated spare room). BIG BUT, if you can't afford it, a sheet is no use whatsoever. You need a heavy duvet at least, preferably a big old mattress, and, assuming a cardiod pattern, the mic should be pointing at the mattress, not you, i.e. you'll have your back to the mattress.
I could prop a big mattresse up on the wall, and sing outward towards the room with the mattress to my back. I'm using a cardiod pattern. What about the reflections behind the mic in the room itself? Should I be worried about that?
Old 10-21-2004, 01:04 PM

how about this setup? it's pretty self-explanatory. wedgies are $70 for a box of 24 1' squares, though I'd probably need more than that. maybe 48.

http://www.needmusic.com/roomsetup.gif