Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2022, 05:52 AM

Default Thorn VI

As you probably know, many of us are eligible for a freebie from Plugin Alliance through our Avid accounts (the PT "Inner Circle" bonuses). Well, after looking through the 130+ available plugins, many of which are truly awesome...plugins like the ones mentioned here, and so many others, I made a choice.

I decided on the DS Audio Thorn VI. Normally $199 and I got it for free!!! This is a pretty versatile and powerful VI with a great sound, nice onboard effects, and arpeggiator. I had the free Computer Music Magazine (CM) version for a while, but it was limited. The full version is well worth it.

So, if you're pondering what to get (assuming you qualify with Avid for the freebie), consider this VI.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Thorn VI

It's a great synth, though I don't use it nearly enough.

I have too many synths really. It wasn't intentional, I just woke up one day and there they were. So I tend to choose select them for my projects based on their aesthetics. Analogue, digital, subtractive, additive, wavetable, granular, etc.

Thorn is the synth I use when I want like a digital, maybe aggressive type of sound. Or if I want to take advantage of messing with their additive waveforms to get something more unconventional.

You did well picking this one up.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Thorn VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
It's a great synth, though I don't use it nearly enough.

I have too many synths really. It wasn't intentional, I just woke up one day and there they were. So I tend to choose select them for my projects based on their aesthetics. Analogue, digital, subtractive, additive, wavetable, granular, etc.

Thorn is the synth I use when I want like a digital, maybe aggressive type of sound. Or if I want to take advantage of messing with their additive waveforms to get something more unconventional.

You did well picking this one up.

I had the free CM version (Computer Music Magazine) for a while. But the full featured one is far better. The glitch sequencer is really a cool feature!