Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2021, 05:06 AM

Default Pro Tools i/o Help Please

I have been trying to use my outboard gear as an insert in my PT sessions....for ages! I have watched the tutorials and read the columns...and my gear is patched correctly. My Quantum interface Output three to my outboard back to Quantum Input 3 - Insert i/o selected 3/4.

I just get silence on any track I insert it on and I just can't seem to nail the unseen routing booboo.

Thanks for helping a weekend warrior!
Old 06-23-2021, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools i/o Help Please

Hardware inserts must use matched IO. So, that means Quantum Output 3 pairs with Quantum Input 3. Output 4 pairs with Input 4, etc. Have you configured this under the Setup>IO menu>Inserts tab? What exact hardware are you trying to use?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-23-2021, 07:33 PM

I am using the Presonus Quantum. I noticed that Pro Tools doesn't map the outputs correctly. For example, on the back of the unit I have my main monitors connected through the Main L and R outputs, but this isn't found in Pro Tools i/o. It only lists the main outs as coming from the Outputs 1-2. Therefore all the physical inputs don't match the i/o options in Pro Tools.

I connect Out 3 to compressor then In 3 into Quantum. Insert Line 3-4 in Pro Tools and nothing. Looking at the i/o window, it seems Line 3-4 are routed to outputs 5-6.

I am super confused and frustrated as I have spent considerable money on a preamps, compressors and this interface and I can't seem to connect them as simple hardware inserts in my sessions.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:43 PM

That's Presonus's fault.
You need to learn what the layout of the I/O on the Presonus is. Presonus decides the channel order to present inputs and outputs to applications. Pro Tools just reads what it is given.

If Presonus presents its outputs
OUT
1-2 MAIN Monitoring
3-4 1-2 Line Out
5-6 3-4 Line Out
and

INPUTS
1-2 1-2 Line In
3-4 3-4 Line In
5-6 5-6 Line In
Then for an insert, you need to offset the input. Connect your compressor 1-2 Line Out and 3-4 Line In which will be in Pro Tools 3-4 Insert.
Manufacturers do different things. Sometimes they stack mic pres first or last, or, like in your case, main outputs. Or headphones. Some hardware has an option of what order you want to stack some of these things (like RME.)

But it is up to Presonus. You need to read their literature of how the channels are ordered.

Last edited by BScout; 06-24-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiet View Post
I am using the Presonus Quantum. I noticed that Pro Tools doesn't map the outputs correctly. For example, on the back of the unit I have my main monitors connected through the Main L and R outputs, but this isn't found in Pro Tools i/o. It only lists the main outs as coming from the Outputs 1-2. Therefore all the physical inputs don't match the i/o options in Pro Tools.

I connect Out 3 to compressor then In 3 into Quantum. Insert Line 3-4 in Pro Tools and nothing. Looking at the i/o window, it seems Line 3-4 are routed to outputs 5-6.

I am super confused and frustrated as I have spent considerable money on a preamps, compressors and this interface and I can't seem to connect them as simple hardware inserts in my sessions.
You may not like this suggestion, but here it is anyway. Use your hardware while tracking. Then use plugins only, while mixing. Why?(a great question):
1-total recall
2-no issues with trying to make hardware inserts work
3-you still get the flavor of your hardware
4-99% of the time, a plugin will match or beat your hardware(especially if your hardware is modern budget stuff.

When I had my commercial studio in Nashville, I spent over $1500 on a patchbay, cables and a 4th IO box so I could do hardware inserts. Then I spent 2 days making it all work, labeling everything and testing everything. Then I spent another day comparing my really good hardware with several really good plugins. Over the next 18 months, I mixed with hardware inserts exactly.....zero times. And my mixes did not suffer a bit. I did use the hardware on the way in for every session(and loved it). Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that; A-you should, or B-that it will make better music Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave