Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2002, 09:14 AM

Default Coolest ProTools Studio setup ever?

Imagine this...

Apple X-serve computer w/:
Swap secondary NIC for AGP graphics w/ dual monitor support
ATTO SCSI card in 64bit PCI slot #1
PCI Interface card for expansion chassis in 64bit PCI slot #2
2x 120GB HDD
Slot loading CD-ROM
Dual 1GHz processors - or PT6 in OSX [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
2x Studio Displays

Magma 4 slot PCI expansion chassis w/:
PTHD Core card
3x Farm Cards

Digi Pre
Digi Sync
2x Digi 192 I/O
Pro Control 24

And whatever other equipment you may need, like MMR8s or DA88s, etc.

You walk into the studio, theres no big computer case (almost invisible as its only 1U), all the cool PT gear racked in next to it. Ready for PT6 in OSX w/ your dual 1GHz processors. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I was just thinking that in a studio environment where first impressions or high tech-ness count, this could be the ticket!

Any comments are appreciated.

Keith W.
Burbank, CA
Old 11-15-2002, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Coolest ProTools Studio setup ever?

Impressive to us, maybe. Post/advertising clients? Maybe not, unless they've got PT rigs of their own. The only piece of gear I've seen numerous clients notice and comment on is a Focusrite Red mic pre. Because it's... red.

BH
Old 11-15-2002, 11:17 AM

That's funny.

I just bought my brother a Funk Logic Palindrometer for his b-day. Clients actually love the sound of it.

E.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:37 PM

Quote:
You walk into the studio, theres no big computer case (almost invisible as its only 1U), all the cool PT gear racked in next to it. Ready for PT6 in OSX w/ your dual 1GHz processors.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">except for the sound of the x-serve fan about to take off.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2002, 02:18 PM
ACI/ALP Moderator

Sounds like a big waste of money to me. Also, where are you going to find a rack deep enough for the Xserve? It may be 1U but it's a monster.

-Eric
Old 11-15-2002, 07:11 PM

Also, if you're building a professional control room to impress clients, you'd have a machine room to house all the noisy stuff, so the computer itself is something the client would never see.

Lee Blaske
Old 11-16-2002, 09:35 AM

the most impressive thing to a client is all the equipment in wall is on, lights are dim, and lava lamps are going!! Everything is minute to them!
Old 11-16-2002, 10:07 AM

And is there any point to a racked computer that forces you to have an expansion chassis?
Old 11-17-2002, 01:38 AM

The most impressive thing to a client is the quality of workmanship, service, and the sound of the finished product you deliver to them, regardless of the equipment used!
Old 11-17-2002, 05:51 AM

Quote:
posted November 17, 2002 01:38 AM
The most impressive thing to a client is the quality of workmanship, service, and the sound of the finished product you deliver to them, regardless of the equipment used!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. I would tend to both agree and disagree with this statement. For the most part, an educated, intelligent, 'bottom line' kind of client will only be impressed with the finished product. They won't care if you used two tin cans and twine. However, you can't deny the fact that some people are impressed with appearances. Specially on first impressions. In this respect, some people would think a room with a 40 channel Mackie with a rack of ADAT's and other tape machines may look more 'professional' than walking into a room with only a computer in it. They tend to associate studios with loads of gear, the bigger the better. I have experienced this first hand and if you search your memory, I'd be willing to bet most of you have experienced this to one degree or another.