Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 AM

Default Pre-Roll / Post-Roll - Not working!

Hello,

So the first night I sat down in front of PT9, I could not get the pre/post roll to work. The buttons were illuminated, and I saw the pre/post roll markers appear. But every time I hit play or record, it always started where the cursor was - and ignored the pre/post roll values.

I made the jump from PT 7.3, so if there is something I am totally missing, I apologize. But I've never had to do anything but enable the pre/post roll for it to work - now there seems to be no way to get it to work.

Is anybody else having this issue? I found a few mentions in the search results, but no definite information.

Thanks,
gee/lo
Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Pre-Roll / Post-Roll - Not working!

Is no one else having this problem? I can barely get through a session without this problem totally screwing up my workflow.

It would be great to hear if pre/post roll is working normally for everyone else.

Anyone????
Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelo View Post
Is no one else having this problem? I can barely get through a session without this problem totally screwing up my workflow.

It would be great to hear if pre/post roll is working normally for everyone else.

Anyone????
Hi,

I think you might have selected "insertion follows playback" its the icon under the pencil tool.

Its also the N key which can often get hit my mistake if using the space bar to stop start PT

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the reply crizdee, but that wasn't the problem. I am familiar with the "insertion follows playback" option - and even with that checked/unchecked - pre/post roll should still work.

I learned in another post that it was the "Dynamic Transport" option that needed to be UNchecked - then ALL my problems went away.

Now I need to go read the manual to find out what that options does besides make me frustrated!

Thanks
gee_lo
Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 PM

Great same thing thanks.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 PM

Thankyou heaps guys. I was having the same problem and wasted about 3 hours trying to get preroll working to no avail today. Since I updated my protools to 8 (from 7.x) I keep finding lots of complicated little things like this that waste my time and are dependant on one little setting somewhere that you have to seek out and find and interrupt my workflow. Is 9 any better? Cheers and thanks...
Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelo View Post

Anyone????
Yes, I have been away from ProTools for a while but upgraded online to PT 9 from LE 7.4cs10. Then updated to 9.0.3.

I am having the same problem with the pre/post roll...........and can't get on with my work.

I also think there should be an option to have the pre/post roll on ALL takes in loop record mode.

Did you find a fix?
Old 05-30-2016, 04:46 PM

Just had this same thing happen in PT 11. Love google search!