Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2001, 01:28 PM

Default Just a stupid question but....

I have a Mix3, an ADAT Bridge24 and a Mackie.
My signal path was the following:

Mics -> Mackie -> Adat Bridge -> ProTools

I've been using the Mackie converters and preamps for a long time (that was the better I could effort), but now I got an 888/24, Two Focusrite and a Millenia Origin. So I decide to connect them directly to the 888/24.

The question is:
Where I have to connect the compressors in the signal path?

They go before the preamps OR before the 888?

It may seems really a stupid question but what exactly changes connecting them in a way or the other? Is it better to amplify the signal and then compress it or compress it and then amplify avoiding fast spikes reaching the preamp?

I don't know exactly how much headroom I have when the VU Meter reaches all the right on the Focusrite. Should I stay on 0Db with the strongest signal and leave a little bit of room or I still have lot of room on the preamp?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2001, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Just a stupid question but....

Microphone > preamp > compressor > converter (888/24). The compessor treats "line level" signal which develops when the microphone's low level signal is amplified in the preamp to line level. You then compress, if desired, the line level signal in the compressor. Up to this point the signal is analog. Once that analog signal enters the 888/24, it is converted to a digital signal which feeds the inputs of the Digidesign cards. Your ADAT bridge is now connected in this manner to the Digi cards. The 888/24 ouputs a digital signal, which your compressor would not recognize.

Appreciate that there is no absolute need for a compressor between your preamp and the 888/24's input. That is an artistic chioce, but the order of the signal path is not an artistic, but a technical, matter.

No insult implied but your question implies limited familiarity with the recording chain. You've got fine gear which you'll get more out of, and enjoy more, with some additional research and reading. Do a DUC Seach on the topic of recording and engineering books and you'll find some good suggestions. Even post a topic along these lines.

Best wishes,

John Caldwell