Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-11-2015, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack help. Dislike tones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Avid wisely stopped shopping dead tree manuals, besides searching the PDF is a lot easier than using a table of contents on paper.

Google is your friend...

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Guide/en358799

And it may already be installed on your system when you installed Pro Tools, but I'm not sure.
I haven't installed pro tools yet. and I may not in case I return everything. Which is very likely, haha. The 11r doesn't really even have any good effects.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb.kallander View Post
I haven't installed pro tools yet. and I may not in case I return everything. Which is very likely, haha. The 11r doesn't really even have any good effects.
I think you are pushing your credibility here making bold statements after what... a few hours messing around with it and not even having found let alone read the User Guide?

The Eleven Rack effects are what they, and some of them are quite good sims of original pedals/effects. But yes, lacking effects in other areas. I'm not sure what you were after but the effects it provides are well documented and you could have looked at all that before purchasing. You could have read the user guide before purchasing. If you want an effects power-house the Fractal Axe-FX is much more capable. A very wonderful box, but another level up from the Eleven Rack in terms of setup complexity, and priced accordingly at around $2,500.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I think you are pushing your credibility here making bold statements after what... a few hours messing around with it and not even having found let alone read the User Guide?

The Eleven Rack effects are what they, and some of them are quite good sims of original pedals/effects. But yes, lacking effects in other areas. I'm not sure what you were after but the effects it provides are well documented and you could have looked at all that before purchasing. You could have read the user guide before purchasing. If you want an effects power-house the Fractal Axe-FX is much more capable. A very wonderful box, but another level up from the Eleven Rack in terms of setup complexity, and priced accordingly at around $2,500.
Right. My original plan was to buy this, use Pro Tools, save up another grand, sell the 11r and the GCP and buy the Axe and the MFC101. I definitely am being a bit rash. I just was hoping for some mind blowing presets I guess haha. Going from an all tube/analog set up to this!
Old 03-12-2015, 04:58 AM

Stock presets are not that pleasant (imho, of course!).
Try searching some user made ones as start points: here you can find a link to Benoni's ones (http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.co.uk/), here you find samples of the Singtall's patches (https://sites.google.com/site/singta...e/free-samples).
Both are highly regarded from the Eleven rack community.
Or you can go to www.elevenrackpresets.com and find something you like to start with.
Have fun!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Currently tonight was playing a 2008 Gibson Les Paul studio with stock pickups. Straight into the 11r. Usually play my 1998 Parker Fly Deluxe with stock DiMarzios, but I have to restring it.
I want, mainly, some John Petrucci tones. And Angus Young tones and Mike McCready tones and Steve Vai tones and Satriani tones. But even the Satch presets don't sound all that great. When I roll off the volume, it doesn't clean up. It just poops out. I am so frustrated. I just spent $1400 on Sweetwater for all this and I'm so unhappy with it. and the effects in it suck so it wouldn't even be worth using it through the effects loops of my Blackstar/Mesa cab set up, which always sounds great.

Hey Caleb, you can definitely find MUCH better presets than the stock one's for all of the artists tones that you are wanting over at http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/, as Ichil pointed out.

And all of the guys on the forums there are really friendly and helpful.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Right. My original plan was to buy this, use Pro Tools, save up another grand, sell the 11r and the GCP and buy the Axe and the MFC101. I definitely am being a bit rash. I just was hoping for some mind blowing presets I guess haha. Going from an all tube/analog set up to this!
Echoing what has been said, read the manual thoroughly, then read it again. I sincerely think it is one of the better manuals that Avid has put out.

Yeah I know...guitar players; we like to just pick it up and plug it in and presto! That tone that we have been trying to duplicate auto-magically appears.

The factory presets are ONLY an example, a gee whiz kind of show off thing. See what I can do sort of stuff. For the most part they are not very useful other than perhaps a place to start.

The other thing to remember is that this unit was really designed MAINLY as an interface to ProTools. In that regard it works fabulously. Embedding rig settings in the recorded tracks is GREAT! IMHO. I have, on more than one occasion, gone back to a track that I recorded in the past and loaded the embedded rig settings because I wanted to use it again, and I either forgot what the heck I called it or didn't bother to save it. Whatever, it is great.

Also, being designed as mainly a recording interface, you will have a difficult time trying to get that "amp in the room" sound. Again it was designed mainly as an audio recording interface, so that is where it really shines.

I don't mean to say that it is not good for live performance, because it most definitely is. But you'll need to remember, once again, how the unit was designed and create you patch accordingly; turning off the cab modeling for example.

Also know that your particular guitar and playing style also contributes a lot to the end tone, just as it does in a tube amp. Humbuckers vs single coils, active vs passive and even the differences within a family type of pickups make a difference.

I was a tube amp snob. No question. Owning a couple of what may arguably be called some of the best of the golden age of tube amps. I bought them when I was a kid in the late '60s and still own them today. Oh I won't get rid of them, but I rarely play them anymore. For recording, I can dial in rather quickly the tones that I could achieve using a mic and an ISO closet, and don't need to worry about sound attenuation.

Live, I simply go into the FOH mixer. The sound guy rarely needs to do anything to my signal other than to route it to the mains and the IE monitors.

For the coffee house gigs, I use either one or a pair of powered FRFR speakers.

The point of my rambling is this: You will need to find the tone that you want. Regardless of what modeler you are using. Some may come pre-loaded with a tone that better suits your taste, others you will have to build.

As previously stated, start with the basic setup first. What amp do you want to base your tone on. Tweak the amp settings first to work with your guitar. Adjust your guitar tones and volume as well in combination with the amp model.

Also as was stated earlier, MOST of the tones that we hear on our favorite records are 1) not nearly as overdriven as they may appear to be, and 2) have undergone a lot of processing through mixing and mastering.

Give 11R a fair chance. She will surprise you in the long run. I know of more than a few that have left her for something else only to return because the grass was not necessarily greener.

Just MY $ 0.02. Good luck

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 03-12-2015, 07:34 AM

Default Eleven Rack help. Dislike tones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichil View Post
Benoni's (http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.co.uk/),

here you find samples of the Singtall's patches (https://sites.google.com/site/singta...e/free-samples).

Both are highly regarded from the Eleven rack community.

Or you can go to www.elevenrackpresets.com and find something you like to start with.

Have fun!

Haven't tried anything from the others but the www.elevenrackpresets.com site and they were great....
I still need to go back and download a decent Eric Johnson patch....love me some EJ
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 03-13-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:27 AM

You can definitely get good Petrucci tones out of the 11r.
Check this out https://youtu.be/8jfEjY_75Io

I believe that preset is also on www.elevenrackpresets.com
Old 03-13-2015, 05:53 PM

i stopped reading at "The 11r doesn't really even have any good effects", too bad sw doesnt sell hands
Old 03-14-2015, 07:22 PM

If one can't create a great sound out of the 11R, they'll be in for a world of pain with an Axe FX.

The Axe is an excellent piece of kit but in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing, don't expect any miracles! What you put into any piece of gear, is what you get out

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 03-15-2015 at 12:21 PM.