Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2003, 06:03 PM

Default Installed VIA Bus Master PCI IDE driver now PT is dead, HELP!!

OK, my other thread here I was already having problems, but now I have installed this VIA Bus Master PCI IDE driver and my whole system is screwed. I cannot get ANYTHING to play more than 3 seconds before I get a buffer error. This is the same system I have been working on for 10 months and even with a few recent glitches it was working until I put this new driver on....
HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS DRIVER AND GET MY SYSTEM BACK TO AT LEAST WHERE IT WAS??????
HELP ME!!! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
amd 1ghz tbird
512 ram
wd 30g sys
wd 80g data drive

Old 03-15-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Installed VIA Bus Master PCI IDE driver now PT is dead, HELP!!

Goto 'add/remove' and unistall it, then reboot your computer and it should search for the old drivers originally installed--you may need your windows cd with you. I'm sorry it didn't work out. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2003, 06:18 PM

cant do it that way... its not showing up in add/remove.

Old 03-15-2003, 07:02 PM

If you are in WinXP go to Device Manager/ IDE controllers/driver and do a roll back to original driver.
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Allen
Old 03-15-2003, 07:10 PM

sorry allen... I am using win me. I have an xp disc..the old unofficial one... do you think I could install xp on this system and then reinstall pt on top of it? Maybe the new os will fix the problems?

Old 03-15-2003, 08:11 PM

also the cdr drive will only write, but it wont read. That is a bad thing. I am backing up files like mad now. any ideas? I dont have the original disc for the cdr drive anymore either.

Old 03-15-2003, 08:19 PM

I would upgrade to WinXP anyways. But remember you have to download the new PTLE 5.3 in order to use PT on WinXP from the Digidesign download site. It is free if you are using PTLE 5.1 or higher. Make sure you read the install instructions to the T before installing PTLE. Get those files backed up and then install WinXP. Not sure if you have the full version or an upgrade version of WinXP. The upgrade version would allow you to install without a format, but Digi recommends the full install with format. I know of one person that did the upgrade version with no problems.
Good luck,
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2003, 02:51 AM

Idea 1-
How about getting over to the MB/card manufacturer's site and getting an original driver download? Perhaps you can overwrite the VIA mistake.
Idea 2-
Is this driver visible in My Computer Hardware Profiles> Properties...??? (sorry I've forgotten what the exact WinME paths are) may be you can get it deleted that way???

I don't think doing an XP overlay is likely to do anything positive... but as a last resort, who knows? Hard to get worse. Make a rescue boot 1.44 with Fdisk and CD drivers on it beforehand... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2003, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
I would upgrade to WinXP anyways. But remember you have to download the new PTLE 5.3 in order to use PT on WinXP from the Digidesign download site. It is free if you are using PTLE 5.1 or higher. Make sure you read the install instructions to the T before installing PTLE. Get those files backed up and then install WinXP. Not sure if you have the full version or an upgrade version of WinXP. The upgrade version would allow you to install without a format, but Digi recommends the full install with format. I know of one person that did the upgrade version with no problems.
Good luck,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Allen, and SK. The XP disc I have is an older one, which allows me to install it over the ME, and I have a key generator to make it fully legit.
I just got up after a sleepless night hoping to get this fixed. I am HOPING that an xp upgrade will reintroduce a better driver base for my system anyway.
Problem I have right now, is that somehow in all the crap from installing the 3rd part via ide program is that now my cdr drive will write but won't read. I cannot install anything form the drive. It, like everything else on my system was running great until last night when i installed this via ide program.
any further suggestions will be great.

Old 03-16-2003, 07:24 AM

Dude you are in deep aren't you? Man I've been there. Lets do this first. Backup anything you haven't yet to a second drive or CDRW.
Rt. click My Computer/select Properties/Device Manager/and go into Disk Drives and remove any drivers listed. Then go into CD ROM and remove any listed there also. Then go into IDE controllers and uninstall those too. All of them.
Reboot and see if WinME installs the old ones. It is unfortunate that you cannot uninstall the new downloaded drivers from Control Panel/Add Remove Software. Maybe there are uninstall instructions on the Intel site where you downloaded it. Let me know how it goes. Hopefully we can at least get your CDRW working again so that we can get WinXP installed.