How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2023, 10:26 AM

Default Structure Mapping Impasse

Hi folks.

I'm running into issues attempting to map samples across my MIDI controller in Structure Free. I do everything by the book (using this as reference, among other corroborative sources), however once I complete the process, no sound is produced.

For clarification, I am slicing a sample into multiple pieces, and want them consecutively laid out across my keys. When I import a single sample from the same litter, it plays back just fine, mapping and pitching it appropriately by design. However if I simply want the whole collection of samples mapped in succession, it will not produce any sound. I have tried different file types, different bit rates, different source folder locations, etc., but nothing.

Losing my freaking mind over here. Any help would is appreciated. System details are as follows:

Macbook Air M1 2020, ProTools 2022.5.0, Structure Free

Thank You
Old 03-21-2023, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Structure Mapping Impasse

Let's try to get this sorted out for you. I assume that once you chop up the audio you've properly named (or renamed) each sample clip. I don't know how many samples you're using or what you're trying to sample. But if this is chopping up an audio source track in order to have individual samples assigned to a range of keys in Structure, then what the video shows is the way to do that. One thing you might do (if you haven't already) is determine what notes (C2, E3, F#4 or whatever) to trigger which sample and then name the clip as "samplename C1" or "samplename D2" That way when you import the clip list into Structure, the samples will auto assign to those notes.
Once that's done and the samples are imported you should see them listed in the left panel in Structure just like you saw in the video. The notes that have a sample assigned to it while show as white in the keyboard at the bottom of the Structure interface. If you don't see any white notes, then that will mean nothing was assigned. Do you see white notes when you import your sample clips?

Old 03-21-2023, 10:54 AM

Here's another video that might help. Starting around 8:15 or so, he imports a list of drum samples to assign to a set of keys chromatically. This process should work for what you're trying to do.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:20 PM

Thank you for your response.

This outlines the process as I've already been following it. In fact I referenced this video as well in my own troubleshooting. After I configure the "Import Samples As New Part" prompt and select 'okay', the applicable keys do not turn white, and the desired audio does not playback. I have no doubt that this is the correct process you shared, but the issue appears to lie in some ambiguous detail or bug. And to confirm, I am simply trying to spread a series of sounds across the keys, not glean a range of keys from a single sound (if that makes sense).

I will also proactively double down on saying that I know my sample files themselves are acceptable, as Structure has no problem mapping and playing back a single sample file across a range of musical keys when imported.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. October View Post
... I am simply trying to spread a series of sounds across the keys ...
Structure Mapping Samples
Excellent video by Phil Jackson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9bwpn77Nq0
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 03-21-2023 at 05:15 PM. Reason: (even if we can no longer drag'n drop, we can "Import Audio" instead)
Old 03-21-2023, 05:16 PM

Again, this video explains the way its supposed to work, just as the previous tutorials did. The issue is that it is not behaving as it is supposed to. I am seeking assistance in troubleshooting why the intended method is not working.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:18 PM

Sorry - I'm out-of-town, so I can't test for you.
Hopefully Donald will test and reply ...
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 03-22-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Again, this video explains the way its supposed to work, just as the previous tutorials did. The issue is that it is not behaving as it is supposed to. I am seeking assistance in troubleshooting why the intended method is not working.

I don't know what to tell you. I have the full Structure, not Structure Free...but the process is no different and I have never had this issue. I don't what to tell you to troubleshoot. If you haven't done so, I'd suggest you go to the AIR website and click on support and seek help there. Usually in the past their support has been pretty decent. It does sound like an issue with Structure Free itself and not anything you're doing wrong, assuming you're doing the process as shown in these videos.

Wish I could be of more help on this one.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:48 PM

Copy that. I will head over to to AIR and see what they can offer. Thank you both for taking the time to review my query and chiming in. Much appreciated.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Copy that. I will head over to to AIR and see what they can offer. Thank you both for taking the time to review my query and chiming in. Much appreciated.

Let us know what you find out. Its always useful if solutions to problems like this are given so others can benefit if it ever comes up again.