Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2023, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Unable to record audio

perhaps read this thread and see if it gives any more clues:
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421798
Old 05-24-2023, 03:54 AM

The session is inside Macintosh HD. I'm logged in as admin and the permission state that the drive (Macintosh HD) is set for Recording. But still doesn't work.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1985 View Post
Yes I'm booting from external ssd (apfs). I checked all the permissions for disk allocation . I searched for similar topics and someone stated that it works only with internal hard drive. Thanks anyway.

No.

You can definitely boot from an external drive and run PT from that drive. I’ve done it countless times. You can also record to the boot drive if you choose.

Does this happen on every session? Can you import audio and playback that audio from within PT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone,
I am using Pro Tools Intro on MacOs Monterey and when I try to record an audio track I get the annoying message "Unable to create record files for one or more tracks. Check your disk allocation and drive permissions." If anybody knows what to do I would be thankful. I already granted full disk permission to pro tools.
Is this by any chance a project that you copied from another system to work on? I had a problem last week with one of those on my new Mac Studio. Disk allocation was correct however I could not add tracks without the error you describe. I got around it by creating a new session and importing the tracks.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:53 PM

In Catalina onwards the primary volume is read-only, which is why I asked about the exact location. If you just open your Macintosh HD and try to create a simple folder on that top level, you cannot. It appears to the user as one single volume - but it's not. There is actually a hidden volume for the all user data. The actual system Macintosh HD Applications folder for example is read only, and there is also a user-level Applications folder where all your installed apps get installed - and it's on a separate partition with the title addition "- Data". It appears as if all your apps are in one place, but they're not. That's why I asked about the exact location that you're trying to create the session. Apple changed this for security reasons. If you ever boot a multi-OS mac into a macOS older than Catalina (eg High Sierra), you'll see this extra partition appear on that desktop.
Your most simple solution is either to create your new session on the desktop of your user-account, or preferably on an external, correctly-formatted drive (with the correct Workspace permissions).
You can also make sure of desktop folder permissions of say a "Pro Tools Sessions" folder, by select it then Command+i, Sharing & Permissions, add Administrators, change all to Read & Write, click cogwheel (Apply to enclosed items), confirm+password, restart. Make sure the permissions are kept. Save all your sessions in there.
If you really want to get into the depths and complexity of the hidden partition read this.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 05-24-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:19 AM

I am confused why are you booting the Mac OS from an external drive ?

Why not boot the Mac OS from the internal HD, and then if you need more storage for PT, have the external as your PT session storage drive.
Also depending on which PT version you have, in later versions the default session location is in the Mac Documents folder , so you will have to change that in the PT export or bounce widow.

Me I do as Tweakhead noted, my current PT sessions I am working on I store in Folder on my desktop labeled "PT Sessions " and then when I know they are finished I move to and external drive to make more room on my internal HD

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-26-2023, 12:37 PM

I'm booting from external ssd because the internal hdd is slow.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I'm booting from external ssd because the internal hdd is slow.
Maybe you should list you actual system specs

But since speed for boot up and PT launch is not really a factor

Seems to me the issue is you trying to run the OS and PT on the SSD but trying to store the sessions on the HD

So IMO 2 options
#1 boot OS and run PT on the internal HDD drive, and have PT store the sessions on the external SSD My guess is you will not see much if any speed issue with this since you will still be retrieving the audio files via SSD This is the method that was used for many years.

#2 leave the OS and PT on the SSD and store the sessions on the SSD also

Booting and running PT from an External SSD and then trying to store your sessions on the internal HHD is counter intuitive (speed wise)--- because you will be writing and retrieving the audio via the HDD and defeat the purpose of the external SSD ..

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-28-2023, 09:06 AM

My mac runs too slow on the hdd. i tried to save the session on another external ssd but get the same error. I appreciate your effort but I think we have come to the end of this topic.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
My mac runs too slow on the hdd. i tried to save the session on another external ssd but get the same error. I appreciate your effort but I think we have come to the end of this topic.
Ok, you're just going to give up when people are trying to help you

You have not posted your system specs so its a bit of a guessing game

A) it seems you need to spend some time with google learning about OSX permissions
B) I highly discourage using the system disk for sessions as well, I have seen the aftermath of the system folder getting overwritten (granted it was OS9, but once bitten twice shy)
C) why not replace the internal HHD with an SSD

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig