How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2023, 10:22 AM

Default ProTools Clear clips - Delete and Move to trash button not showing

Hi all,

I have Pro Tools 2018.4.0. I am saving as copy a session with many songs in order to have many sessions with sigle songs.

Thus after copying and opening the new session I want to clear the memory of all the songs and the track regions that I don't use. When I select the regions that I want do delete from the hard drive I am using the "clear" option. A dialog appears but no "Delete" nor "Move to trash" option are shown. It only has the "remove" button and once I hit it, it doen't seem to remove the track from the hard drive keeping me the drive full of unwanted data.

I tried to check on similar issues on the net but I could't find any solution nor discussion about this issue. Could somebody help me on that?

Many thanks
Old 05-23-2023, 07:15 PM

Default Re: ProTools Clear clips - Delete and Move to trash button not showing

Sounds like you're selecting clips and not the whole files. Clear out everything you don't want from the timeline and then "Select Unused" from the Clip List menu. (Shift-CMD-U on a Mac)

Of course make sure you're in your saved copy so you're not deleting the original files.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:46 AM

see here:
https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2670850&postcount=4

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 05-26-2023, 08:07 AM

Thanks. The trick is to have always consolidated clips in order to properly manage audio files in the session.

It seems that by proceeding that way still it holds many data. By having a 20GB session by consolidating and removing all unused files and leaving just one song of 14 my session ended up to be of 10GB.

It seems not the best way to have an optimised session anyway. Finally I had to export as files the only tracks I wanted to mix as a single song and import them in an empty session. I think pro tools should implement a better file management solution in order to have a more efficient way to shrink bigger sessions.

Thanks anyway. You helped a lot.