Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2016, 07:12 AM

Default Dry and wet without Pro Tools

When using the Eleven Rack as an external source in the studio, rather than an audio interface - how can it be configured to simultaneously provide a wet and dry signal?

The wet, allthough recorded, is mainly for monitoring purposes. I need it to have any amp configuration or effects added in the eleven rack. The dry signal must be suitable to connect via a line in interface so that I can later apply a virtual guitar sound(distortion) to it through plugins in the computer.

I do not run Pro Tools, where the above scenario is simple and well documented.

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Dry and wet without Pro Tools

Are you saying "without Pro Tools" or "without ANY DAW"? All DAW's are basically the same, just choose the Eleven Rig input for the wet and Guitar for dry.

For Standalone:
Have you looked at using the OUTPUT TO AMP ports? You can setup the point in the chain that feeds each Output to Amp port. Several possibilities in combination with the Main outs.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-01-2016, 10:35 AM

Do you have SPDIF on your audio interface? If so, it is rather easy to set it up so one channel has the wet signal and the other the dry / DI.
You can find info on how to set this up in the Eleven Rack Manual

System Details
Old 02-02-2016, 05:13 AM

Thank you. Please note the primary reason for doing this is to apply distortion and effects in the computer. This means I need a good signal and, correct me if I am wrong, the Output to amp ports are unbalanced, carrying an instrument level signal suitable for amplifying, but not so suitable for line in level recording of a clean track to apply effects to?

I believe the same goes for the S/PDIF. Ideally the XLR connections would be used, sending the wet signal to Left Out and the dry signal to Right Out, but to my knowledge this is not possible.

Would a D.I box solve the problem? What would be the best solution if such is used?

A. Before the Eleven rack
B. After the Output to amp

Thank you.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:22 AM

Some would argue that S/PDIF is your best option since there is less conversion from analog to digital. You did not mention if your interface supports this though.

If not, then you are correct that the Amp outs are not balanced and are also instrument level. These days audio interfaces can handle a wide variety of signals, so before investing in a DI box, I would give it a try and see if it is acceptable for your use.

If not, a DI box will provide a balanced out plus some isolation. In this case, you would run the amp out to the DI box, then the DI box into your XLR input on your interface.

System Details
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Some would argue that S/PDIF is your best option since there is less conversion from analog to digital. You did not mention if your interface supports this though.
My interface supports S/PDIF. Are these configurable within eleven rack to provide a wet signal on the left out and dry signal on right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
If not, a DI box will provide a balanced out plus some isolation. In this case, you would run the amp out to the DI box, then the DI box into your XLR input on your interface.
Yes, but once I use the AMP out, the Main out XLR outputs are cancelled. So I will only get one signal(dry or wet), right?

The quality of the recorded dry signal is of crucial importance.

Would it be an option to put the DI-box BEFORE the Eleven rack? Guitar -> DI-box split outputs to line in on computer and instrument in on eleven rack.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviLmiFF View Post
My interface supports S/PDIF. Are these configurable within eleven rack to provide a wet signal on the left out and dry signal on right?
Yes. In the Options menu > digital outputs, you can choose Split In/Out.

This will make the Left output = Full Rig, and Right output = DI
Old 02-03-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredo View Post
Yes. In the Options menu > digital outputs, you can choose Split In/Out.

This will make the Left output = Full Rig, and Right output = DI
This will be possible without using Pro Tools? I'm going to use Cubase(sorry for swearing in church), and I should be able to find S/PDIF as input source for recording like any other input on my interface... right?

Last edited by EviLmiFF; 02-03-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviLmiFF View Post
This will be possible without using Pro Tools? I'm going to use Cubase(sorry for swearing in church), and I should be able to find S/PDIF as input source for recording like any other input on my interface... right?
This is correct. Cubase should show S/PDIF inputs for your tracks. You just need to connect the 11R to your interface, set the 11R digital outputs to split, then you create two tracks, one will be S/PDIF left and the other right. When using S/PDIF, you will also have to set the 11R to clock master and your interface to clock slave.

If you did want to split the guitar signal at the input, I would use something from Little Labs, like this one: RedEye 3D

System Details