Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-31-2002, 09:17 PM

Default Software Synth Woes

I have PT LE 5.1 and unfortunately, a PC.

How in the world do you interface a softsynth like ... say, the Native Instruments FM7 or any one for that matter.

I am told Directconnect is needed, however, I also understand there is NO Directconnect available for the PC.

Am I in the same sinking ship with Gigsampler as well?

What to do, what to do...Help.

I'd love to get through all of this tech crap and get back to actually writing a tune!

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-01-2002, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Software Synth Woes

Keep your PC, and dedicate it to running Gigasampler (Gigasampler is PC only, anyway), and buy a Mac to run audio applications.

Lee Blaske
Old 06-01-2002, 07:57 PM

This would be a good Idea if I had more money to sink into this, but the reality is ... I don't. Is there anything else I can do?
Old 06-02-2002, 07:12 PM

Keep your PC, money and sanity-get a 2nd PC and run Cubase for MIDI and the softsynths. Everything about MIDI is better in Cubase. Plus you don't have the additional drain on your Audio system. ProTools for Audio, Cubase for MIDI. It's perfect.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:47 PM

Would the ProTools/Cubase combo work on the same PC?
In other words...Run Cubase and do my sequencing then save sequence to .MID file then close Cubase then Run PT and import?

Lastly...I have crazy latency when playing soft synths into PT and/or Cubase? What gives? I must be doing something wrong. How does one resolve this issue?
Old 06-04-2002, 03:28 AM

"Would the ProTools/Cubase combo work on the same PC?
In other words...Run Cubase and do my sequencing then save sequence to .MID file then close Cubase then Run PT and import?"

Yes-but I don't think that will solve the softsynth issue. Some users print their seq's as audio and import the audio into Protools. If you've already got Cubase that 2nd PC would't be much of an expense and Cubase doesn't require nearly the power to run as Protools.

"Lastly...I have crazy latency when playing soft synths into PT and/or Cubase? What gives? I must be doing something wrong. How does one resolve this issue?"

Haven't ever used a softsynth in Protools. In Cubase you have to tweek the audio setup a little-I don't remember where exactly, but you can reduce that latency to the point that it's undetectable.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:25 AM

On Windows XP you are about to DIRECT CONNECT, QUICK TIME SUPPORT et al. Hope you can wait a few more weeks...