Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-18-2002, 07:35 AM

Default Help me choose a system please!

Hi everyone

I need help chosing a computer to go with the m-box. I've been told that an ibook, although ample in the MHZ department, doesn't have a fast enough hard drive to deal with more than about 12 tracks of audio. I can't afford a tibook and I've read here that they're noisy anyway. The new imac looks like a good option even though it's not portable. I just need to know that it would do the job. Also, with it's built in 20w amplifier, does that mean I can get a nice pair of 20w speakers and monitor without an external amp?
I want to record songs, mainly laying down one or two audio tracks at a time, multitracking up to 24, very little midi, and I've got access to a lovely studio with protools TDM etc for the next three and a half years (I'm at a conservatoire)so I can even record live drums at college and compile them on my own computer. I've got quite a tight budget (under £2k) can anyone help?

Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2002, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Help me choose a system please!

How important is portability? I just picked up a used MAC G4 (533) for 1K. The Apple price drop has lowered the prices on the used market.