Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Gain Staging??

Check this out...it may be of some help.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=343241

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
When I track I have the metering set to pre fader. I always try my hardest to have the level just touching the yellow on the loudest parts (-6) and have the input monitoring selected (as I'm on HD) so I can monitor the signal coming in. When I add a plugin say for example waves CLA 2A the input level increases on the fader meter. I then check the input on the plugin is just hitting -6 which is the same as the signal coming in when the plug is inactive. If this is correct and the fader meter shows an increase in signal I turn down the output on the CLA 2A making the fader level meter the same for both when the plugin is active and inactive.

Now if I add another plugin I want the input to be -6 on the plugin meter and weather the plugin is active or inactive the fader meter should still be hitting -6 as well, have I got this right???
Please keep in mind that the plugin does not affect the level of the recorded signal. The plugin is in the digital domain which is after the signal has been converted. Once in the digital domain the headroom is massive in PT since it is using internal math. You can even have a channel showing 'clipping' on the meter, but if this is only after a plugin has been inserted, this 'clipping' isn't real.

Clipping on the master fader is always real because it has to go through the converter again on the way out of the digital domain.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/
Old 12-08-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-Choppah View Post
Please keep in mind that the plugin does not affect the level of the recorded signal. The plugin is in the digital domain which is after the signal has been converted. Once in the digital domain the headroom is massive in PT since it is using internal math. You can even have a channel showing 'clipping' on the meter, but if this is only after a plugin has been inserted, this 'clipping' isn't real.

Clipping on the master fader is always real because it has to go through the converter again on the way out of the digital domain.
Very handy to know. But if the clipping is not 'real' as you say why do they have the indicator light up ????? Very strange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Very handy to know. But if the clipping is not 'real' as you say why do they have the indicator light up ????? Very strange
Real clipping as in recorded signal clipped before it was written to a WAV file. Yes you can also clip your mix anywhere, but that can be fixed by mixing properly. If your recording (audio file) is clipped, then the clipping is real.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 PM

Default Gain Staging??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Real clipping as in recorded signal clipped before it was written to a WAV file. Yes you can also clip your mix anywhere, but that can be fixed by mixing properly. If your recording (audio file) is clipped, then the clipping is real.
So the plugin clipping light does mean clipping then????? Now I'm really confused lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 12-09-2013, 12:13 AM

Yes clipping the input/output of a plug-in is real, but not permanent. You can simply lower the level going into/out of the plug in and the problem is fixed.

However if you have the gain on the preamp/interface too high you will clip the converter. Once that happens there is no way to truly fix that. There are some ways to make it better, but it can never be truly "unclipped".
Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 PM

You can have the PT meter show clipping after you install a plugin and have no distortion actually present. The math used in the digital domain has massive dynamic range. The PT meters are relative to the external (audio interface) dynamic range. As long as you recover the right signal level at the end of the digital chain you are OK.

A fundamental experiment is to put in a gain plugin (or multiple gain plugins) and see how much gain you have to add until a sin wave distorts. Insert an oscilloscope on the master track and look at the sin wave until you see it clipping. Sort of a fundamental intro to digital audio - what it really means.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/
Old 05-08-2014, 09:44 AM

Don't mean to hi jack the thread but I'm a bit confused about the point of pre fader metering once the recording has taken place. I record a track and it hits around -6db on the pro tools meter I then add AC1 by McDSP for example and pick console 2 as the setting. Now according to Charles dye you push the input so the yellow light is bouncing evenly now if I do this it sends my pre fader level in to the red but if I switch to post fader level its not that hot at all. I then change back to pre fader and reduce the output on AC1 to reduce the pre fader level. Now if I'm clipping pre fader with a plugin on the insert but its not clipping when the plugin is off the track. Do I still get distortion ???

Old 05-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Kind of lost at exactly your question but in general any levels that clip anywhere are normally bad.

I like to keep my pre fader levels well away from clipping. Most plugs have input and output controls. So if a certain plug needs more level into it, I'd use the plugs controls to do that. That keeps the level into it from being too hot.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:42 AM

I'm glad to see this conversation. I've been messing with this for awhile and I tend to run everything too hot from the start. Fighting the red ceiling every time I add a plugin.
I'm gonna actually try to keep everything down and hopefully gain a little more headroom in my mix. In my opinion, headroom can always be taken out but you can't add it later. I'll keep the board posted and maybe show some progress.

\m/