Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Default Field recorder channel and play lists

Hi all, wondering if i can get some guidance on some stuff here:

With my current work flow, when working with vocals, i might have a vocalist run threw the song once or twice to get warmed up. Then i'll start going threw with them line by line and punch in until we are happy with that line and move on to the next.
While doing these continuous punch ins on the same line if i feel that maybe the best take was from a few punches ago, i highlight the area in question, right click and bring up the field recorder channel list, choose one of the previous clips and it puts just that line or word in perfectly. I love it.

What i am wondering is, if i'm having a hard time finding which take, if i can use the play list functionality. I see the ability to expand channels to new play lists but when i do that, it lines the beginning of all the regions/clips with the beginning of my selected area throwing the time code off for each play list. What is the proper way to do this? I notice that you can expand to new tracks by time code only but i can't seem to do this for play lists.

Im not sure if i am understanding the whole process properly and if i need to change something in my work flow. I understand creating new play lists for full record passes. Or generating play lists for loop recording but what is the proper route for auditioning previous manual punch-ins.
Again with my current work flow i highlight the word or line in question, choose a previous take from the field channel list. Listen to it in context of the song and if want to audition another, i right click and choose a different take.

Hope this isn't too confusing and i appreciate any guidance, thank you.
Protools 10
osx 10.6.8
Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Field recorder channel and play lists

does your feild recorder have the abilaty to mark circle takes?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Not sure the answer to that question, i am not actually using a field recorder. I am just recording in protools as normal, but using the field recorder channel list seems to be the only quick way for me to grab a word or line from a previous punch in.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:58 AM

OK, I miss understud your workflow
have you tried the take/clip rating?

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-02-2012, 12:43 PM

Unfortunately clip rating isn't really what i am looking for.

I guess what it comes down to is when people are punching in vocals manually (not loop recording). how do you switch between previous punches if you liked one of those better? or if you want to take a word from punch 2 and a word from punch 3 ext.
I currently highlight the word i want to change, right click and choose an alternate take from the Matching field recorder channel list. this will put the one word in from the take i chose onto my current take.
I'd love to be able to expand all those alt takes to a play list but when i do (by clicking expand channels to new playlists) the beginnings of all the clips line up to the beginning of my selection throwing the timing of all the alternate takes off. I can manually click on each play list and choose spot, set it to original time stamp and then its good but i have to go and do it to each playlist.
It just seems like i am missing something here.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 PM

I'm old school: copy sections to a comp track

but I haven't done a vocal comp in years

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 AM

Hey Grant

Like Craig we also will have a few empty tracks available to copy and paste onto. Not elegant but it's always worked.

If you create new playlists (on a single track) and copy and paste onto them as you go along when you go into playlist view everything will be lined up correctly and then it's easy to do the final comp.

Hope this make sense.