Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Can I Use Kurzweil Format Samples w/ProTools ?

I have a Kurzweil K2500XS and some very good sample CDs. Can I use those samples that are in the Kurzweil format in ProTools with my Axiom controller instead of using the Kurzweil itself ?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Can I Use Kurzweil Format Samples w/ProTools ?

You can't use the samples in Protools natively as an audio track per se. Samples need to be played back through a sampler (hardware or software plugins) and driven by midi. Digidesign recently released "Structure" and now there is also "Structure LE" and "Structure Free." Third party software companies have their own sampler plugins such as Sample Tank, Kontact or Kompact, Gigastudio, etc. I'm not that familiar with what sample formats each support but you should be able to visit their respective website to find out.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 09-13-2007, 01:13 PM

Someone has suggested Moto's MachFive V2 universal sampler. Its about $450 - was hoping to find a cheaper alternative.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Someone has suggested Moto's MachFive V2 universal sampler. Its about $450 - was hoping to find a cheaper alternative.
I assume you meant MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) Mach5. That will work as a sample playback software but I'm not familiar enough with it as a plugin in Protools. Perhaps you can connect it via rewire or else you need to load it on another computer and trigger it via midi.

For less expensive sample playback software, look at limited version of the big boys. For example, Gigastudio has the Ensemble version that is less expensive but more limited. Again, you might want to look at Structure Free. The price is right.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 09-14-2007, 04:54 AM

Thanks Obsidian - Yes I did mean MOTU - (My inexperience is shining through). Will Structure play Kurz. samples? MY Sweetwater sales tech reccommended the MOTU. I guess either Structure can't handle Kurz files or he didn't think of it.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks Obsidian - Yes I did mean MOTU - (My inexperience is shining through). Will Structure play Kurz. samples? MY Sweetwater sales tech reccommended the MOTU. I guess either Structure can't handle Kurz files or he didn't think of it.
Other than its own format, Structure doesn't import anything other than EXS and Kontakt files.

MOTU MachFive 2 (that's how they spell it...!) is great, and works as an RTAS plug-in like any other virtual instrument in PT. It claims to read Kurzweil K2xxx format - I'm using it for my legacy E-mu and Akai samples and it's good but not quite 100% so far (although this may be due to corrupted files, etc).

There are always the odd caveats about importing other formats (for instance MachFive 2 simply doesn't have the same system of velocity fades as my old E4, so it doesn't import them) but it'll get there or thereabouts virtually all of the time. If the K2xxx format has a synthesis or ROM element as well as a sample element this obviously can't be imported, but the RAM samples can.

Also, at the moment, on my system (and possibly others... they're slow to come out of the woodwork) I'm having a slight crashing issue with the RTAS version. It's a much better plug-in when used via FXpansion's VST-RTAS "wrapper". This seems to only affect PCs - reports on Macs have been favourable. It's also something I'd expect to be fixed very soon.

Overall, I'd really recommend MachFive 2 but it's main competition seems to be the new Kontakt 3 which is generally seen as powerful but less user friendly and intuitive. It also claims to read K2000, K2VX, K2500 and K2600 format (excluding ROM samples). There's also Yellow Tools' Independence and Plugsound Pro you might want to check out. Google away!