Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 PM

Default maxim delay

What's with the 1024 samples of delay in the maxim plugin?

Other digi plugins such as eq3 and dyn3 don't cause any delay in recorded material.

I get the same 1024 samples delay regardless of whether the maxim plugin is on a channel, aux or master.

For my purposes, it's a real pain having 1024 samples of nothing in the beginning of my recorded files.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM

Default Re: maxim delay

Maxim is really a mastering limiter and as such, it is a "look ahead" style(where it actually looks at the signal and limits BEFORE it plays back). The only way to accomplish this is by inducing latency and all mastering limiters will have as much and more latency. For processing individual tracks, you are much better off using the other compressors or BF76 as they work with little or no latency. Leave Maxim for the master track so the latency is a non-issue.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 AM

What albee said.
It's probably lucky you had this question and posted. Maxim is a high ratio, brick wall peak limiter. These are not commonly used as a single channel plugins. If you were to use this type of limiting for even a few important tracks, You might feel the life slipping away from your music and not understand why. Controlling dynamics and eliminating them are two different animals. Follow albees advice and stick to compressors with lower ratios.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm very well aware of what maxim is and where it should be used. I normally use it sparingly on a master output bus where I'm recording a mix.

As far as I'm aware virtually all of the digi plugins have some kind of delay associated with their processing - typically around 3-7 samples or something for EQ3 and Dyn3.

These plugins have their delays compensated for in LE, so if I use only those plugins, my recording in perfect phase locked sync with my source audio.

My tests show that maxim introduces the same 1024 sample delay no matter where it is used (channel, aux or master).

My question is: Why does Pro Tools compensate for delays on some plugins and not Maxim?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Pro Tools LE does no compensation. There are some very old long winded threads with tests and benchmarks floating around from back in the day.

Only plug-ins that need to buffer the audio before processing will be delayed. "Look ahead" plug-ins will have a ton of delay. Some are 3000-4000 samples.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-08-2009, 04:32 PM

Interesting discussion, I hadn't used Maxim in years since it was a $ plug, but now that it's free I fired it up in my MacBook/PT8LE and dang I really like it a lot. In fact in my quick shootout I liked it on some material better than my long time fave Massey 2007.

I will def give it a run on my PTLE8/XP rig which is my music creation config.

Wilson
Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 PM

I was surprised at 1024 samples delay, too. Waves L1, which is also a brickwall limiter only has 64 samples of delay.

There was a fairly long recent thread on limiters and Maxim was especially talked about. I think you'd be in the minority if you like Maxim more than the Massey. You might try a search...it was only a couple of weeks ago.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
In fact in my quick shootout I liked it (Maxim) on some material better than my long time fave Massey 2007.
Somebody get a rope!

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Somebody get a rope!
I'm just sayin Bro!

The Massey ain't going anywhere, but I was surprised too! Did they change it or upgrade it?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Okay i fired up the studio since I felt a bit of heat with my "likey Maxim" comment. Opened up a Guitar piece I'm working on slapped it across the mix bus WHERE THE MASSEY 2007 IS (FGS ) and A/B'ed with the M 07 using the "mastering" setting on the Maxim and tweaking the mix slider down a bit. And I still say it isn't hateful...Yes the Massey is fantastic and imparts hardly any color...can we say uber transparent, that's why we all love it so much, but the Maxim gave me some punch esp in the kick and bass area of this piece.

The other settings on the Maxim are pretty worthless except the "Radio" settings can give you an idea of what the Broadcast chain could do to your mix so there's some value there as well, at least for reference purposes.

I can't get the same punch from the Massey. If anyone can enlighten me as to how please feel free, but that's never been what I want from it so it's the Horses for Courses deal me thinks.

Wilson