Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2023, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Searching for a piano VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thanks much for this. Gives me something to help me make a decision.
No problem. There is also an undocumented feature for the weird few who want to make custom tuning map -- it is possible simply by editing a text file. You can detune any key with any amount of cents you like. Just in case perfect tuning is too perfect.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:25 PM

I have all the major players and it's sure tough to pick just one because each shines in different ways but I can say that 3 keep me coming back: 1) VSL's Synchron Piano, 2) CFX Piano from Garritan, and 3) a recent fav that's very inexpensive for some reason and tough to beat is Meldway Grand. It seems to have it all and might be my Desert Island piano if forced to pick one. It lists something like $100 on the site but I believe I paid $30. The downside is that the installer and basic player are the worst I've used from any company. *unbelievably* over complicated but once that's done it's well worth the effort to get there.

People hear piano tone differently, but this is a Steinway so if that's the goal it's truly one of the best on the market at any price. I have the many-hundred-dollar VSL Steinway (a monster of a product) yet I think I prefer this one in most ways.

Last edited by Eric Lambert; 03-08-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I have all the major players and it's sure tough to pick just one because each shines in different ways but I can say that 3 keep me coming back: 1) VSL's Synchron Piano, 2) CFX Piano from Garritan, and a recent fav that's very inexpensive for some reason and tough to beat is Meldway Grand. It seems to have it all and might be my Desert Island piano if forced to pick one. It lists something like $100 on the site but I believe I paid $30. The downside is that the installer and basic player are the worst I've used from any company. *unbelievably* over complicated but once that's done it's well worth the effort to get there.

People hear piano tone differently, but this is a Steinway so if that's the goal it's truly one of the best on the market at any price. I have the many-hundred-dollar VSL Steinway (a monster of a product) yet I think I prefer this one in most ways.
Unfortunately the current crop of VSL stuff won't run on my system. I've had to pass over the last couple of updates to VEPro because I'm still on OSX 10.13.6 and can't go further. I didn't know that Garritan was still around.

QAPLA!
Old 03-09-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I have all the major players and it's sure tough to pick just one because each shines in different ways but I can say that 3 keep me coming back: 1) VSL's Synchron Piano, 2) CFX Piano from Garritan, and 3) a recent fav that's very inexpensive for some reason and tough to beat is Meldway Grand. It seems to have it all and might be my Desert Island piano if forced to pick one. It lists something like $100 on the site but I believe I paid $30. The downside is that the installer and basic player are the worst I've used from any company. *unbelievably* over complicated but once that's done it's well worth the effort to get there.

Very interesting about the Melda. Not where I'd think to look for a piano. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Very interesting about the Melda. Not where I'd think to look for a piano. Thanks for the tip.
I totally understand. I'd found 5 or 6 reasons to ignore this piano before actually trying it. Based on some glowing feedback from other players I threw down the $$, and now it has become my go-to. You never know where these surprises will come from.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:36 PM

Off topic but check out Native Instruments' "Piano Colors" if you want to take a break from purity and mess with some trippy tones!

Not usually my thing this type of library but there are some inspiring presets in there to experiment with and have fun.

Other than that I don't know much about big boy piano packages (I'm a guitarist ) but thought I'd chime in!

Good luck with your pick!
(16GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal)
Samsung T7 x a few
Samsung 980 Pro x 2 (in Acasis TB/USB 4 enclosures)
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (my hero)
Old 03-11-2023, 05:13 AM

Another vote for Ivory… expensive but worth it. When I sold my Yamaha upright, Ivory definitely softened the blow :)

I’m not a pianist myself, but know what a real (well tuned) piano sounds like… (My piano tuner was actually blind, but his hearing & pitch were second to none).

Never really heard a good modelled piano, so I’d stay clear of the likes of Arturia’s Piano V.

A good way to test any Piano VI is the upper & lower registers, the range of velocities, & also how notes interact within chords.

Another sample based option is UAD’s Ravel - available on UADx Spark subscription. Not a fan of subscriptions, but you can dive in & out, plus you get a good selection of other UADx plugins. (There’s also a free trial). https://spark.uaudio.com

(Requires OSX 10.15 though)…
Old 03-11-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::F-L-E-X:: View Post
A good way to test any Piano VI is the upper & lower registers, the range of velocities, & also how notes interact within chords.
Good point which I agree with completely. With any new product I play low and high octaves at various velocities and that says a lot about what a piano is capable. And then, as you said, the bread and butter is how notes of the middle octaves interact with each other. That's where most of your activity will be.

A subpar piano will get muddy and lifeless. And nothing bothers me more than a library which completely lacks a dynamic category. I have one or two which, no matter how hard I bang on the keys, there's simply no triple forte at the top.
Old 03-11-2023, 12:27 PM

Ivory has 18 different velocity level samples for each key. That is enough for Jordan Rudess and he is not bad at all...
Old 03-11-2023, 03:57 PM

I recently purchased Garritan CFX Abbey Road Concert Grand and I'm loving it! Also bought the Jangle Box and Mrs. Mills piano plugs from Spitfire and they're fun to play around with too.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB