Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2023, 10:45 AM

Default Re: What Mac desktop for Pro Tools Studio

I come back after a short vacation and this thread is only more bizarre than before. It's almost as though the more valuable information is provided the less the OP seems aware of what has been offered. The answers -- solid answers -- have already been posted here, multiple times, approaching ad nauseum. Ironically, the question is one of the least specific on the forum (best Mac for PT), yet it has been fielded by very pointed answers, and still we see 'since no one will answer the question...' Those who continue to respond have far more patience than I ever will.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Those who continue to respond have far more patience than I ever will.
Patience is a skill, not a god given feature
Old 02-24-2023, 03:07 PM

I am running a Mac Studio with an M1 Max processor and 32GB of RAM. I have a 1TB SSD in it, and about 15TB of fast external storage. It's an awesome machine. I'm running the latest (non-beta) version of Pro Tools Ultimate on this computer, and Pro Tools Studio on my 16GB RAM, M1-equipped MacBook Air.

For the OP, I'd recommend either a Mac Studio M1 Max or M1 Ultra. Either one can be configured with 64GB of RAM (64GB RAM is the baseline configuration on the Ultra, but will cost extra on the M1 Max-equipped Mac Studio, which has a baseline of 32GB RAM), and both models can be configured with 4TB internal SSDs.

Unless you KNOW that you need and regularly use 64GB of RAM, you could even opt for 32GB and save some money. The Mac Studio is very efficient with its use of RAM. 32GB is serving my needs very well. Even the 16GB on my MacBook Air is normally plenty of RAM for me.

Other than M2 Max-equipped laptops, these are the fastest Macs that are currently in production. In fact, I think the M1 Ultra is still the fastest - even faster than the M2 Max-equipped MacBook Pro laptops.

If you can wait a while, the M2 Max and (eventually) M2 Ultra-equipped Mac Studio models will probably be released in 6 months to a year. That's a guess on my part, but I can't imagine it will be any more than 18 months before the processors in the Mac Studios get upgraded. If you need something NOW, then by all means, get an M1 Max or M1 Ultra Mac Studio. Unless you're working on HUGE sessions with tons of sample-based virtual instruments, it will probably be more than enough horsepower to meet your needs for many years to come.

All of the current M1, M1 Max, an M1 Ultra-equipped Mac computers are qualified by Avid for use with the latest versions of Pro Tools - both Pro Tools Studio and Pro Tools Ultimate.

Please note that the Mac Studio (and all Apple Silicon-based computers, such as the M1 an M2 models) can not be upgraded after purchase, so get all the RAM you want and the SSD you want when you order it, because except for adding additional Thunderbolt or USB external drives, you can't add more (internal) storage or more RAM later.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
It's still in beta for an indeterminate amount of time and there are plenty of big plugins that aren't compatible.

My point was, for a production system it's not an easy decision. Maybe I should have worded it that way.

EDIT: Also keeping in mind the newest models come with Ventura. Which again in a commercial environment might not be ideal.
I confess I don't know what a "big plug in" is.... Interestingly enough there was recent Pro Tools Expert blog about how many commercial engineers use primarily stock (bundled ) plugins for "production".
Now IF a "big plugin" that isn't compatible, is a big deal for you, and you are not capable of using an alternate plugin , or just running in Rosetta,, or doing without ,, then OK maybe buying new Apple Silicon is not currently your best move . But lets be honest, that is pure personal, subjective, preference, and or the totally subjective belief, that you must have XX plugin in order to function. Which does not really reflect the reality of numerous objective alternatives that many are,,,,, as you said,,, happily working away on ( and the most objective statement you made)

Also keep in mind most "commercial" operations have multiple work systems and can easily test a new system while chugging away outputting product on prior system/s

The point is that objectively (contrary to your statement) most M1 machines are in fact compatible, qualified, and recommended by Avid ... plain and simple

The point is (objectively) only thing 'in beta" for PT is Apple Silicon native function. Rosetta works fine if you have some "I can't work without plugin/s XXX", not yet Silicon ported Then most likely it run in Rosetta mode ....

Now while it is objectively true that Avid has been very slow as have some Plug in Dev's and that may frustrate some ( which is subjectively viable ) But it is objectively also true many simply prefer not to work in the Windows environment plain and simple ...And it also objectively true a lot of pro's have moved to Apple Silicon and simply continuing to work ...plain and simple

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 02-26-2023 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I think it's that time again. My 2010 Mac Pro is topped out at 10.9.5 running Pro Tools 11 with a Digi 003R.

I'd like to know what Mac desktop works with Pro Tools Studio. In my current system, I have 64GB RAM and all the media is on a second internal drive. I have B/U for both Sys/Apps and Media, plue Time Machine. Unless there's a real reason not to do that, I'd like to continue that layout.

Any help, urls and other stuff would be appreciated.

I have a FireFace UC on an iMac Pro running a competitor's software, so unless the 003R magically works, I'll probably go that way.

Thanks in Advance,

Ty Ford
That’s a Mac Pro 5.1 which can run up to Monterey (I’ve seen for sale on eBay, at least Mojave through) with a Metal capable video card.

This shows Mojave as the max.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6

Last edited by Sugarnutz; 02-27-2023 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:50 AM

In December a power surge, through an expired surge protector, took my 27" iMac (late 2009) running PT 12.8.2
An attempt to prevent subscription based upgrades to all my Software by replacing it with a 2011 iMac version failed due to unbearable fan noise.
I just purchased a refurbished 2020 intel iMac and I am happy as can be.
I got the Pro Tools 2022.12 Perpetual Studio upgrade and updated all my third party plug-ins and maxed out the Ram (OWC)
The fans have never come on. So far... The machine is silent heaven.

I purchased the smaller SSD and lower Graphics card after watching a very positive YouTube review from a production Studio regarding fan noise.
I bought the exact specs they reviewed. I based my decision on the facts that I like the big 27" screen, the new 23" Silicon iMacs are not Pro level, I never heard silent describing a Mac Studio Model and the intel chip provided compatibility with more other Software vendors I use.

The reason I came to this site was to see if we still needed to record Pro Tools sessions to an external Drive with Pro Tools 2022.12.
I would rather not have to turn my GLYPH or OWC, Firewire Drives on now because I am bothered by their fan noise.

macOS Monterey 12.6.3
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
3.8 GHz.8-Core Intel Core i7, 128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaith2 View Post
In December a power surge, through an expired surge protector, took my 27" iMac (late 2009) running PT 12.8.2
An attempt to prevent subscription based upgrades to all my Software by replacing it with a 2011 iMac version failed due to unbearable fan noise.
I just purchased a refurbished 2020 intel iMac and I am happy as can be.
I got the Pro Tools 2022.12 Perpetual Studio upgrade and updated all my third party plug-ins and maxed out the Ram (OWC)
The fans have never come on. So far... The machine is silent heaven.

I purchased the smaller SSD and lower Graphics card after watching a very positive YouTube review from a production Studio regarding fan noise.
I bought the exact specs they reviewed. I based my decision on the facts that I like the big 27" screen, the new 23" Silicon iMacs are not Pro level, I never heard silent describing a Mac Studio Model and the intel chip provided compatibility with more other Software vendors I use.

The reason I came to this site was to see if we still needed to record Pro Tools sessions to an external Drive with Pro Tools 2022.12.
I would rather not have to turn my GLYPH or OWC, Firewire Drives on now because I am bothered by their fan noise.

macOS Monterey 12.6.3
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
3.8 GHz.8-Core Intel Core i7, 128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4.
Interesting ---I have close to same machine except I have the 5700 16 gb graphics card and 128 GB DDR4 memory, However and I can hear the fans occasionally on audio playback and always on video editing in FCPX.

But in answer to your question -It depends on how big your boot drive is, and how many sessions you have stored and what your available dive space is . Functionally No there is no need to have your PT session storage on an external drive .. ( I have my backup sessions on an external) but my PT sessions (about 50 or so) are stored in a folder on my desk top BUT then I have 2 TB internal storage

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...