Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 04-07-2023, 07:54 PM

Default S1 and SSL UF8 in Tandem

I find myself possessing both an S1 and the SSL UF8 through plenty of fault of my own. Does anyone have a similar setup and if so, how are they using each piece so as not to be redundant. Of course if I had to choose one or the other, the S1 wins but my first thought, if I'm to use both, would be to use the S1 as my main fader pack for the individual channels and put VCA's or Aux busses on the SSL.

To make matters, or at least my desk, more cluttered, I have a PT Dock as well.

Thoughts on using this setup effectively? Or sell the UF8 and be happy with my S1 and Dock.

TIA
Old 04-08-2023, 05:43 AM

Default Re: S1 and SSL UF8 in Tandem

My suggestion, sell the UF8 and buy another S1.

Putting the VCA’s on the UF8 does not but you any additional workflow since you cannot spill the VCA’s on the UF8. If you had 2 S1’s I think you’d find the benefit of using Multi-Master mode VCA spill as well as the 32 programmable softkeys available to you. As well as a ton of other benefits with the included Dock.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post

Putting the VCA’s on the UF8 does not but you any additional workflow since you cannot spill the VCA’s on the UF8. If you had 2 S1’s I think you’d find the benefit of using Multi-Master mode VCA spill as well as the 32 programmable softkeys available to you. As well as a ton of other benefits with the included Dock.
This is the conclusion I seem to be coming to with input from other users in other forums. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HausMedia View Post
This is the conclusion I seem to be coming to with input from other users in other forums. Thanks!
If you use other DAWs, the UF8 might still come in handy if those DAWs don’t support Eucon. If you don’t need to sell it to fund another S1
Old 04-08-2023, 10:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
If you use other DAWs, the UF8 might still come in handy if those DAWs don’t support Eucon. If you don’t need to sell it to fund another S1
EUCON also supports Mackie Control
Old 04-08-2023, 11:27 AM

Have you considered the UC1 - hands on control of SSL channelstrip (4000B or 9000E/G) and bus compressor plugins?
I think it's such a wonderful complementation to a DAW controller like S1 or in my case 2 x Artist Mix. You could sell the S1 and have the UF8/UC1 combo, but then you would not have Eucon. But a S1 + Dock + UC1 = Dynamite, IMO.

UC1 – …"from my cold, dead hands".
Old 04-09-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Have you considered the UC1 - hands on control of SSL channelstrip (4000B or 9000E/G) and bus compressor plugins?
I think it's such a wonderful complementation to a DAW controller like S1 or in my case 2 x Artist Mix. You could sell the S1 and have the UF8/UC1 combo, but then you would not have Eucon. But a S1 + Dock + UC1 = Dynamite, IMO.

I was going to suggest the same, and don't be scared of buying via the link as sometimes Thomann beats USA pricing enough that they have the best deal, even after the shipping(I have bought several things from them and they usually arrive in 3 days)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-10-2023, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post

I forgot to add that I did indeed order the UC1 at the same time I ordered the UF8 and the UC1 is not going back. It's a game-changer.

And to close this thread out, it took me just a couple of days of working with the S1 and Dock combination to realize how powerful it is. The UF8 doesn't even come close as far as integration with Pro Tools..I guess that's to be more than expected but until I actually got my hands on the S1, I didn't realize how power the integration was. And so, I have sent the UF8 back, just within the return window but probably at the loss of a restocking fee, and ordered a second S1.

Now...to make some music.

Thanks all.

J
Old 04-11-2023, 08:16 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HausMedia View Post
I forgot to add that I did indeed order the UC1 at the same time I ordered the UF8 and the UC1 is not going back. It's a game-changer.

And to close this thread out, it took me just a couple of days of working with the S1 and Dock combination to realize how powerful it is. The UF8 doesn't even come close as far as integration with Pro Tools..I guess that's to be more than expected but until I actually got my hands on the S1, I didn't realize how power the integration was. And so, I have sent the UF8 back, just within the return window but probably at the loss of a restocking fee, and ordered a second S1.

Now...to make some music.

Thanks all.

J
It would be great if you posted that last comment into the Facebook post you made
Old 07-10-2023, 02:20 AM

Quote:

Regarding the user programmable keys.
I think the UF8 has 5 banks of 8, so if that’s a selling point, as it is for me, you’re getting more of that feature / function with 1 UF8 than 2 S1s.

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com