Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-24-2001, 06:49 AM

Default recording

Hey, the band I'm in is about to start recording (we're tracking drums today) and all the responsibilities have pretty much fallen on me, so I was wondering if anyone here could give me advice? Here is basically how I am doing it now: I have a digi 001 that I am running with my pc (HP 9680c with intel chipset, 40 gigs 256 megs, 750 khz or whatever it's called...). First we are recording the drums. To do this, we're using 8 drum mics, all have their own track on the 001, and I am playing along with the drummer on headphones coming out of a pre amp. The two overhead condensers are going into channels 1&2 on the 001, and the other 6 are going into a mixer with the mixer's direct out's going into analog inputs 3-8 on the back of the 001. After the drum tracks are laid down, I'm recording the guitar (4 tracks, L&R direct from my MB Formula pre and L&R mic'd from my cab (all at the same time..also any advice on how to thicken the sound more??). For bass, we are doing one direct track and one mic'd track. I have a rocktron intellifex that I plan to run the stuff through for a cleaner sound and for effects (reverb, chorus, hush, delay, etc.) after the tracks are recorded. I also have a Roland xp-30, which I play direct in to the 001 or I go midi, but generally I don't like going into it with midi. Is this a good way to record? Has anyone else had success doing it differently or has advice or can help me optimize my recording experience? The main thing I'm woried about are the vocals, as of now I intend on using my drummer's overhead condensor through the intellifex, and I'm not sure how that will work. Probably use one of those mic screens too. Oh yeah, here are my mics: 2 CAD overhead condensors 3 CAD low frequency mics 1 CAD Bass/Bass drum mic, 1 Shure SM57, 1 Shure SM58. Any help would be greatly appreciated here, this is my first time doing a project of this scale and importance! Thanx!
Old 01-24-2001, 11:29 AM

Default Re: recording

I would recommend against the way you want to record your guitars. Don't bother stereo micing yor amp and also don't run direct out of your amp. Just put a mic on the cabinet and record two separate tracks (play the same part twice). This will be a very full guitar sound when you pan one left and the other right.

From your post, it sounds like you are new to recording. I would recommend that you simplify things as much as you can. When you start using too many mics on things and too many tracks of the same instrument you are asking for trouble. Try using 6 mics (or less) on the drums instead of 8 (Kick, Snare, Toms LR, Overheads LR). It is very easy to get overwhelmed when starting out by trying too much of the fancy techniques you read about. There are all sorts of problems that can arise from that (phase cancelation comes to mind). Just try to get some basic, good tones down on disk without overdoing it.

I'm certainly no expert on recording. I'm more of an intermediate, but I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

With the power and complexity of PT LE it can be very easy to get overwhelmed. You may end up wondering why your buddy's four track recording sounds better than your 24 track ProTools recording if you aren't carefull.

Don't record the vocals through the Intellifex. Don't record vocals with any effects for that matter.

I hope this helps. I don't mean to sound condescending, but you remind me of myself when I went from a Yamaha four track to a 16 track ADAT setup. My first recordings sounded like ass because I tried to get too fancy with my new toys. Take it slow and read lots of books. Good luck!
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU RT
EnerMax EG365P-VE FMA 1.3 RT
GeForce2MX
Old 01-24-2001, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll try doubling the guitars, but I guess I didn't explain some of the things clearly. For the vocals, I was going to use the intellifex to clean things up, it "filters" the sound, and maybe add a little reverb or chorus, I've recorded with it before and on some settings the effect can cover up the vocals, but I intend to use the effects sparingly. And I'd understand that 5 or 6 mics for the drums would usually cut it, but the drummer I play with has an enourmus set (think terry bozzio jr!) It's a custom made 11 peice DW, not to mention he has something like 17 cymbals. I added a standard mic to the drum tracks (about 8 feet back) to add some more flavor, that might be over-doing it, but I figuerd I'd try it, If I didn't like it, I could always delete that track. Thanks for the help, I'll definately try the guitars that way to thicken them up and I'll be careful with the intellifex on the vocals, thanks!
Old 01-25-2001, 06:46 AM

I did the drum tracks yesterday, they went great, but what kind of plug-in should I use to take away from that "live" sound, to make it sound like it should on an album? Compression? Or should I just use the EQ Plug-in? Any drummer's advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-25-2001, 11:15 AM

How about gating your tracks?
Old 01-25-2001, 05:10 PM

Have you checked out the factory presets, there are some quite good drum settings for things like kick/snare compression etc.