Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2009, 01:45 PM

Default Yet ANOTHER problem, now with elastic audio, I can't be the only one!

More problems still...Next up, elastic audio timing!

Today I'm using elastic audio to align drums to a grid, have done many times in the past on 7.4, this is my first opportunity to do so with 8.
I'm using the widely recognized procedure of grouping drums, analyzing audio on all tracks, making a group without kick and snare, lowering sensitivity to 0 on those tracks, regrouping all drums and then quantizing using kick and snare. I.e, I'm doing everything right.
Here's the problem, everything visually looks exactly like it should, but when it plays back sounds are not aligned as they should be. In fact sounds aren't being generated when the waveform says the should be. E.G.-A snare top and bottom track, moved via elastic audio to a grid, the waveforms line up just as they should, however the bottom snare track makes a sound before the top snare track AND before the waveform of it's own track says it should occur. To add more confusion to this problem, depending on where I start playback I will; get a different result. For example, in the case of the top and bottom snare track, if I start playback 2 seconds before the snare hit, the hits aren't aligned, if I start 1 second before the snare hit they work perfectly.
It's very possible that not many have attempted this, so some of you who know how to do it let me know what happens.
Additionally, my computer info and Sandra report are in another thread, under "6088 problems"
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Yet ANOTHER problem, now with elastic audio, I can't be the only one!

I’m gonna go try this today, I have an imported track that needs this, I’ll post back if I have a similar issue.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-11-2009, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Yet ANOTHER problem, now with elastic audio, I can't be the only one!

Where did the routine come from that leaves the kick and snare out at first? I watched the DigiTV videos on EA done to a drum kit and that was not part of the routine. I've only treated one drum kit and the fixes were few and tiny so maybe that makes a difference?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Sorry albee, I can't remember where I first learned that. I'll look for the digiTV version later tonight. The method I was using seems to work very well(in 7.4).
I'll also be trying a few other experiments between 7.4 and 8, and between LE and HD. Fortunately I have dozens of pt systems of different types around to check!
I'll try and find the info and post it here later, Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Where did the routine come from that leaves the kick and snare out at first? I watched the DigiTV videos on EA done to a drum kit and that was not part of the routine. I've only treated one drum kit and the fixes were few and tiny so maybe that makes a difference?
It was first discussed on the PTHD (MAC) forum when EA first came out. It seems to work quite well. It has since spread....

Kris
May the music move you
Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
It was first discussed on the PTHD (MAC) forum when EA first came out. It seems to work quite well. It has since spread....
Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if I am missing a good trick or is it an HD-only issue

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Hi Albee, it definitely will work on LE, as I have been doing it since 7.4 came out(though my question about PT8 remains).
Here is how:
Group all drum tracks together
Analyze
set to warp
Ungroup all of the drum tracks
Group all of the tracks except the tracks you want to key off of(kick, snare)
Select the regions that were just grouped
Set elastic properties so that the sensitivity is 0%(no warp markers)
Set the elastic sensitivity on the kick and snare track so the markers are only on actual hits
Regroup all of the drum tracks
Select all of the regions in the group
Quantize
That's it(aside from doing some checking to make sure it quantized properly)

I've done this with no problems maybe 100 times in 7.4, it absolutely does not work for me in 8(generating the problem at top of thread).
If there is a better way(or even a different way) let me know and I would like to try!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Space Cabin Audio

That method also works well when quantizing a dirty guitar signal by using the DI as the source

Kris
May the music move you
Old 02-12-2009, 12:39 AM

Isn't this the method Kenny Gioia uses in all his 7.4 videos on EA. Is there where you learned it?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 AM

I really have no recollection of where I learned it, though I'm sure it wasn't from a video. It's one of those things, if someone has a good method it has a way of spreading around!