Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-25-2021, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Is there a List M1 native AAX compatible Plug Ins for ProTools?

I agree keep iLok no online only , many people who live in metro areas or other countries, have little idea of what it means in rural US to enjoy crap for internet service options .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-25-2021, 07:21 AM

Recently on a remote gig my iLok wasn't properly inserted and PT threw an error trying to find online authorization. I freaked (until I realized the issue)! iLok only for me, please. I suppose it's a good option to provide both options tho
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-25-2021, 10:25 AM

All this talk about iLok has me wondering. I don't know exactly how Rosetta2 works but it is possible to run a "native" application but authorize it with a "non-native" utility like iLok? In other words, can something running natively on the M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max processors also set data from within Rosetta2 that is running the authorization portion. Do the two platforms communicate in this way?

I suppose to take this question further, would it be possible for Protools running under Rosetta2 for now to brides over to native M1 plugins as they become available (I suspect not). On the flip side, when Avid finally releases a native version of Protools (Calm down folks. It's not out yet), will it be able to bridge across to use non-native plugins (still Intel-based)? Again I suspect not.

If not, we must wait for the entire ecosystem to be transformed into the M1 native arena before we can move to native completely. There would be no ability to do it one step at a time. Now I see why JFreak keeps reminding us how long the transition may take .

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 10-25-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Now I see why JFreak keeps reminding us how long the transition may take
Old 10-25-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
All this talk about iLok has me wondering. I don't know exactly how Rosetta2 works but it is possible to run a "native" application but authorize it with a "non-native" utility like iLok? In other words, can something running natively on the M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max processors also set data from within Rosetta2 that is running the authorization portion. Do the two platforms communicate in this way?

I suppose to take this question further, would it be possible for Protools running under Rosetta2 for now to brides over to native M1 plugins as they become available (I suspect not). On the flip side, when Avid finally releases a native version of Protools (Calm down folks. It's not out yet), will it be able to bridge across to use non-native plugins (still Intel-based)? Again I suspect not.

If not, we must wait for the entire ecosystem to be transformed into the M1 native arena before we can move to native completely. There would be no ability to do it one step at a time. Now I see why JFreak keeps reminding us how long the transition may take .
Nope. As already mentioned in the thread earlier you have parts of the pace/iLok software running in the address space of the Pro Tools. You can't translate some of the instructions and not other parts. And plugins are the same, plugins are just chunks of scary code tossed into the address space of Pro Tools. The plugins and the DAW need to be written for the same processor architecture.

This is the exact same problem facing Photoshop users where Adobe has native M1 versions of the app but not all extensions are yet ported to M1 so folks still end up having to run under Rosetta2 if they want those extensions.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:

No. If a DAW is running in Rosetta space it can't use native plugins and vice versa. Logic users are already dealing with this (forcing Logic to run in Rosetta to continue using plugins)

As for iLok "utility" -- iLok isn't a utility. It is wrapped around the code of the actual application/plugin. It compiles with the software. That's how the software protection works. Its libraries become part of the app it is protecting -- so it is all or nothing.

We've done transitions before -- you just wait until enough of the things you are dependent on have transitioned.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:29 PM

I think we understand the limitations of the current iLok architecture, but the question was: can PT authorization be reworked so that a hybrid Native/Non-Native relationship is feasible? Forget how it's currently structured. Can M1-Native ProTools communicate with an iLok dongle to access its assets?

I think, even if it could, it wouldn't be worth the effort. A Native Pace/PT solution will arrive before that hybrid system would have its bugs worked out.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I think we understand the limitations of the current iLok architecture, but the question was: can PT authorization be reworked so that a hybrid Native/Non-Native relationship is feasible? Forget how it's currently structured. Can M1-Native ProTools communicate with an iLok dongle to access its assets?

I think, even if it could, it wouldn't be worth the effort. A Native Pace/PT solution will arrive before that hybrid system would have its bugs worked out.
It's software, you can do whatever you want in principle. In practice just nope. As has been mentioned multiple times. Pace software is doing a lot here, not just simple license key validation. If you just want to do simple validation say periodic remote authentication against a license server and not much more then that can be done... clearly Adobe and many software products do that fine today.

But this is not going to head anywhere. Avid is beholden to Pace/iLoc today for lots of stuff, from the stack of anti-theft technology they provide, to plugin development in Juce. I doubt Avid would want to ever move off that stack, it would be a massive disruption for Avid and their plugin providers.

There is nothing you can do, and there will be no magic workarounds, you have to sit and wait for anybody to get their parts ready.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:45 PM

Thanks guys for the confirmation that the entire ecosystem must be transitioned to native before the total solution can move to that platform. It is what I thought but wanted to pose the question for discussion and confirmation purposes. Hopefully all parties are onboard and working to go native in a timely manner. I believe I have a new M1 Pro or M1 Max MacBook Pro in my future.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 10-25-2021, 02:55 PM

Regarding my iLok comment, I never said anything about an Online license. Pro Tools simply needs to look to its neighbor, Avid Media Composer (as well as Sibelius)which do not require an iLok or any other sort of dongle for licensing (they have an integrated License/App Manager that uses your App Id and System ID, works if you're offline, and has a way of "floating" licenses between multiple systems).