Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-18-2021, 05:45 AM

Default Here we go again: Premiere exports silent files with OMF

Hi there

New project, new troubles

A few weeks ago I got a first dialogue export from the draft version as OMF, with the settings: not embedded, whole files. All worked fine...

Now in the final version, half of the files are silent. It's not because of clip gain. The WAV itself is simply "empty".
The cutter guy told me that he didn't change the settings since the last export.

It's quite an old version of Premiere and AAF export doesn't work at all. That's why we stick with OMF. And this worked in the past...

After some testing we discovered that this issue must be connected to mixed sample rates.
The Premiere project is set to 48/24, but most of the takes were done in 96/24. That's why the cutter set the OMF export to 96/24.

We also tried an export with 48/24 OMF settings, and with embedded files with handles, but same result.

If the Premiere project setting is 48k, then all 96k files are exported silent / empty. When it's set to 96k, then all 48k files are silent...

But a few weeks ago, mixed sample rates wasn't an issue

Any hint will be much appreciated!

Cheers
t
Old 10-18-2021, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Here we go again: Premiere exports silent files with OMF

Although on current versions of Premiere and Pro Tools, and using AAF rather than OMF, a similar thing happened recently on a delivery.

The editor had chosen to mute/disable clips that he didn't want to hear (alternate mics, mostly), but for some reason it affected all mics in the creation of the AAF - so nearly all dialog clips were empty media, as you describe.

To remedy, he first made sure that ALL clips were enabled/unmuted, and then for the clips he didn't want to hear (which previously were disabled/muted), he lowered the gain all the way instead.

This updated delivery gave us the right result.

Again, this is a different version of Premiere, and is AAF rather than OMF, but maybe it can help point in a good direction.

Good luck,

G.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 10-19-2021, 11:26 AM

Hi G.

Thank you for your hint about the muted clips. I will tell the cutter to check this.

Cheers
T
Old 10-19-2021, 07:58 PM

With older versions of Premiere it's worth trying to open the project in Audition if the editor has it (most seem to). Then try exporting from there.

Those older versions always had problems with mixed sample rates on export. I'm not sure if there is a way to tell Premiere to media manage and sample rate convert... maybe the editor knows.

Field recorders shouldn't roll at 96k IMO.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhatley View Post
The editor had chosen to mute/disable clips that he didn't want to hear (alternate mics, mostly), but for some reason it affected all mics in the creation of the AAF - so nearly all dialog clips were empty media, as you describe.
The cutter said that he can't mute clips, so this issue must have some other cause.

He made a new export this morning after choosing "render all audio", but this didn't solve it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
With older versions of Premiere it's worth trying to open the project in Audition if the editor has it (most seem to). Then try exporting from there.
Thanks, we will also try this if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Field recorders shouldn't roll at 96k IMO.
I totally agree with this.
Cheers
t
Old 10-20-2021, 08:41 PM

Understood. Well, the only other areas that have caused hiccups for me are the following:

-Nesting and/or grouping in Premiere causes problems for Pro Tools, and needs to be undone before delivery

- we've found that best practice for delivery includes deleting the video track before creating the AAF/OMF

-OMFs can only be a certain maximum size, so maybe try creating one with short handles, which will force it to create new files - or, create a separate OMF for each track of audio to minimize the sizes.

G.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 10-21-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhatley View Post
Understood. Well, the only other areas that have caused hiccups for me are the following:

-Nesting and/or grouping in Premiere causes problems for Pro Tools, and needs to be undone before delivery

- we've found that best practice for delivery includes deleting the video track before creating the AAF/OMF

-OMFs can only be a certain maximum size, so maybe try creating one with short handles, which will force it to create new files - or, create a separate OMF for each track of audio to minimize the sizes.k
Hi G. thanks again for the hints.

It's an issue of Premiere this time because the exported WAVs really are silent/empty.

In the past it worked fine with these settings: whole files, not embedded.

We'll give it a try with embedded OMFs + handles, one per track. Unfortunately the cutter is away until Friday.

Cheers
T
Old 10-21-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Hi G. thanks again for the hints.

It's an issue of Premiere this time because the exported WAVs really are silent/empty.

In the past it worked fine with these settings: whole files, not embedded.

We'll give it a try with embedded OMFs + handles, one per track. Unfortunately the cutter is away until Friday.

Cheers
T
Alway use OMF or AAF embedded consolidate media. It's probably looking for the files on the "cutters",HD that you do not have.

I use only AAF now and require it from the editor. That way the volume automation the editor does which I throw out anyway, I can start to just use clip gain, which is supported in AAF. Also a lot better metadata, Names on tracks etc.
and the files themselves if you are lucky. It all depends though on your workflow.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-22-2021, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Alway use OMF or AAF embedded consolidate media. It's probably looking for the files on the "cutters",HD that you do not have.
Pro Tools can find and connect all the files. All the waveforms are rendered, but some of the clips are simply silent, because the source WAV/AIFF is silent/empty.

The problem with embedded files is the file size limitation which still exists for OMF exports.
But it should work when we export one OMF per track,

I also prefer AAF for the same reasons, but unfortunately this version of Premiere can't do it. It simply stalls or crashes...

Cheers
T
Old 10-22-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Hi G.

Thank you for your hint about the muted clips. I will tell the cutter to check this.

Cheers
T
OK
They should be well aware of this. I am working on two series at my facility here and all the stuff I am getting from LA is always AAF embedded consolidated. The only reason you ever need those files is if you are needing sound log info etc. ex field recorders. The editor should be able to weed through this stuff for the project and clean up work on their end.
Here is some info. If you look for the info it's all over the web.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzhmnTxwQmI
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS