Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-01-2021, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Is no one else embarrassed by Elastic Audio?

Fully agree. The state of elastic audio is shameful. It must be over a decade old now and even waiting on all that time for X-Form, sometimes sound worse than polyphonic!!!

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 10-02-2021, 10:11 AM

Thank god I use SoundMiner, the pitch is fantastic, but it doesnt do time....i dunno maybe the newer on does.....
Old 10-02-2021, 11:53 AM

Let’s just say, I tried it once and never looked at it again.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:28 AM

For stretching one word in a vocal, the default Avid TC/E algorithm using the TCE Trim tool is actually really good.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
After all these years, Pitch 'n Time Pro is still my favorite.
Same
Old 10-20-2021, 01:29 PM

Hi All (Hey Midnight, it's been a minute),

The daft thing is, I'm still running my beloved TDM systems with PT 10.3.10 and Elastic is bloody great!! I use it every day, and couldn't live without it.

What the hell have they done to it since?? I know there was that thread about an internal setting that Izotope recommended switching, but Avid just ignore everybody. And we pay through the nose for this kind of snub!! Shameful. Industry leader? Pfffft.

It's no wonder I have an HDX card and 888 interface sat in the closet. I keep thinking I'll pull them out and have a go, but then issues like this remind me why you'll have to pry my TDM rigs from my cold dead hands.

Steve
Old 10-22-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
For stretching one word in a vocal, the default Avid TC/E algorithm using the TCE Trim tool is actually really good.
Yeah, I use it that way too. Sometimes if it doesn't sound good, I'll switch to the Waves algorithm and usually one of them will work well enough.

What I can't stand is when a client wants to change the key of a whole song, or the tempo - or both! I know it's going to make all the tracks lose quality using EA - I'm like, "What didn't you figure that out before you recorded it?!?" EA just kills drums and vocals and isn't too kind to other audio either. At least with drums, you can use Beat Detective instead and retain the sonic quality. Sometimes you can get away with slicing up vocals too so that it conforms to the new tempo and retains quality.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-22-2021, 12:10 PM

I (somewhat) recently had to change the pitch and duration of a session that depended on pristine audio quality, and we auditioned several algorithms. The only one that was passable and didn't make me cringe was Pitch n Time. To someone who was paying close attention you could hear the difference but most people wouldn't sense that it had been altered. I do agree with others that Elastic can work in some instances, but it quickly collapses, especially when, as you said, there are time and pitch changes.

RE: artists changing tempo and key mid-session: we deified digital to the point that some people feel that anything can be "fixed in post" without compromises, so they're less concerned about recording it properly the first time. I've been editing audio and MIDI for almost 30 years and, still, the biggest thorn in my side is the editing of hybrid sessions (containing both audio and MIDI) with multiple tempo changes. "Slow down section 3 by 10 BPM but keep the rest."
Old 10-27-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
The daft thing is, I'm still running my beloved TDM systems with PT 10.3.10 and Elastic is bloody great!! I use it every day, and couldn't live without it.

What the hell have they done to it since?? I know there was that thread about an internal setting that Izotope recommended switching, but Avid just ignore everybody. And we pay through the nose for this kind of snub!! Shameful. Industry leader? Pfffft.
Agreed, I remember when Elastic came out in 7.4, it definitely sounded much better than what we have now. (Of course, I knew much less about what i was doing then, as well, so maybe that played a role...)
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 10-27-2021, 02:51 PM

Default Is no one else embarrassed by Elastic Audio?

The word “sh**e” springs to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~