Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM

Default Pro Tools Playback Issues at 88.2 with Delta Link / Alpha Link - Any ideas?

Maybe someone can help here.

We just opened a session recorded at 88.2 in another studio. We can only hear playback through four channels -- the FIRST FOUR in our i/o configuration. We can route anything to those channels and they work, but our other 20 analog output channels aren't audible. We've never had this sort of issue at lower sample rates.

We are running Pro Tools HD2 v10 with SSL Delta Link / Alpha Link converters.

This is the hardware configuration:

We have two Digilink cables running from the Core and Accel cards to the Delta Link, and one MADI pair running from the Delta Link to the Alpha Link. I think this should carry 32 channels of i/o at 88.2/96.

Pro Tools sees the Delta Link as 3 192s (48 total channels), with the first 24 channels corresponding to the digital channels and the second 24 to the analog. Our rig is set up to use the first 8 digital channels and all 24 analog channels. So it's essentially a 32 channel setup.

One suspicion: The Delta-Link requires very short Digilink cables. The suggested length for cables at 96k is 0.9 meters. I know the recommended lengths were extended with the last firmware update, but I don't know by how much. We are using 12' cables, which have been sufficient for lower sample rates (confirmed by the SSL people) but I don't know what the firmware update did for the required cable length at higher rates.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Adam
Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Playback Issues at 88.2 with Delta Link / Alpha Link - Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azirkin View Post
One suspicion: The Delta-Link requires very short Digilink cables. The suggested length for cables at 96k is 0.9 meters. I know the recommended lengths were extended with the last firmware update, but I don't know by how much. We are using 12' cables, which have been sufficient for lower sample rates (confirmed by the SSL people) but I don't know what the firmware update did for the required cable length at higher rates.
Hi Adam,

according to SSL the cable length restriction was removed with firmware version 2.0, is this the version you have updated to?
Are your two DigiLink cables of the same length?

Oliver