Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 11-12-2015, 04:17 AM

Default ez drummer 2 midi editing problem

hi all

I'm hoping someone here can help me with an ez drummer 2 question.
im dragging a loop from ez drummer into a midi track so i can edit and change the loop to my needs. but when i do it doesn't fit to the grid. iv tried every grid from 1/2 to 1/64. its making it hard to cut and past the loops i want to use. I'm not an expert at ez drummer or midi editing.... so thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:51 AM

Default Re: ez drummer 2 midi editing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bens10 View Post
but when i do it doesn't fit to the grid.
Not quite sure what you mean here; could you explain a little more about your process?

Are you using "Export Song as MIDI File" from within EZD?
Are you using the Pro Tools Import to import the MIDI file? If so, what selections are you making in the MIDI Import Options dialog?

More info will help us help you.

Quote:
its making it hard to cut and past the loops i want to use.
Why not just use the song track within EZD to build/edit the loops? While I have done importing MIDI from EZD for edits, I find it much easier to edit with the song track within EZD.

Quote:
I'm not an expert at ez drummer or midi editing.... so thanks in advance.
There's lots of people eager and capable to help (some, like me, not experts either), so try not to get frustrated. It can be a daunting task at first, but once you start getting into it, it gets easier.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post

Why not just use the song track within EZD to build/edit the loops? While I have done importing MIDI from EZD for edits, I find it much easier to edit with the song track within EZD.
The editing capability of EZD2 is so very basic and limited that it consists of nothing more ;
- than being able to chop up and move complete midi blocks,
- remove (or add) a single row of samples (eg; hi hats etc)
- swap the leading hand hit (eg; from sat a snare hit to a tom)
- guess-worked algorithm to either complicate (add beats - which is usually snare hits) or subtract beats from an existing beat.
- control of the velocity of the kit as a whole.

This Toontrack midi control is so very basic and limiting ...,

..., and personally ,even though I have a mega collection of midi files to choose from - I never-ever (not even once) have ever been satisfied with anything from EZD2 (or SD2) "without" dragging it out of EZD2 and into Pro Tools where some real editing can take place , like ...,

- adding, moving, subtracting, shortening, or lengthening of individual hits,
- adjusting velocity ranges within individual kit pieces
- changing swing values.

The editing features in EXD2 are a good starting point and a time saver ..., the bottom line is most people write songs that have their own unique beats and patterns, so to mould someone else's "generic midi" to your existing song, it will then requires lots of further editing work within your DAW to make it fit .

To answer the OP ; I always use the export midi option in EZD2 and save it to a folder that I create called "Saved Midi files" .., and from there I can drag that midi file into protools.

If I need to get a midi file back out of pro tools I will export it from protools from the menu , and use import midi from EZD2 if I want to do some further editing (for example - experiment with arrangement orders etc)
Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Thanks guys, i ended up deleting and starting again and didn't have the same problem... not sure why?
spkguitar i found it hard to edit with ezd as the loop is tiny on the ez screen. so i figured i would drag it into a midi track in pro tools and edit form there, this worked much better for me.
Anyway iv worked out a system that works for me now so thanks again for you advice... much appreciated