Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2003, 09:37 AM

Default New MAC-user!

I'm going to receive my first mac G4, 1,25 GHz within a couple of days!
This mac is slightly different than others,because this one is able to run OS9 as well as OSX.
Now I was wondering, if there are people who can help me with certain tweaks or customizing of OS9.
Or can I run Pro Tools on OS9 smoothly without making any tweaks?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:54 AM

Default Re: New MAC-user!

At this point, unless you have some truly compelling reason to do so, if you're just starting with your first Mac, bypass OS 9 and go directly to OS X.

If you're going to use this to run PT, all the set-up info is thoroughly covered in the manual. There really aren't many tweaks at all. There are some tweak heads out there that use special third party software for disabling various OS X features to gain every last ounce of processor power for audio, but IMO, it's hardly worth it. The stock Mac OSX GUI is part of the pleasure of using a Mac. Keep in mind that OSX was built from the ground up for excellent (and low latency) audio and MIDI performance. The OS naturally has its priorities in order.

Lee Blaske
Old 07-01-2003, 11:14 AM

Thanks Lee!
But I want to run Pro Tools on OS9 first,because I'm switching from PC to MAC,and I still have the MAC-cd which I got from Digi,when I bought the 5.1.1 upgrade.
So are there certain tips or tweaks I have to perform in OS9 or can I install everything by the TDM Installation Guide and is that enough to run things smoothly.
It's not that I want to squeeze every ounce out of my system,but I just want to run Pro Tools on OS9 without crashing,every time I go to the bathroom.
I want to make the switch to OSX whenever I'm ready to upgrade to PT-6. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Any suggestions, or tips?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:21 AM

I agree with Lee. Go right to OS X. Why learn 2 operating systems. OS 9 is history. If you can afford the upgrade, go for it. You will really like OS X. I just made kind of the same move with the same machine (OS X boot only) You will love it.

-my 2cents. Frank
Old 07-01-2003, 01:14 PM

OK here's the story:
I'm running a 24MIX system.
I can't afford to upgrade to OSX or PT6.
So my question was actually quite simple:
Is it necessary to make some adjustments in OS9 in order to run PT smoothly?
Or are the tweaks according to the TDM Installation Guide enough to run PT smoothly?
The main reason why I'm not upgrading is lack of stability in PT6 after reading all those topics about people having so much problems with PT6 and OSX...and another reason is $$ ofcourse...
So please, if there are things I should consider regarding OS9 and Pro Tools 5.1.1 I'd be glad to hear them. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 02:02 PM

Yes,
There are some things you should know about OS9.

This OS uses block allocated ram. There is ram assigned (min/max) for each application. When opened..the application will take the entire max block of ram and dedicate it to the application. So, it's not dynamically allocated like it is in Windows (or OSX)

You'll want to increase the ram allotment for PTle application (exe) as well as to the DAE app (which is in your system folder/DAE)

The way you assign ram is...to select the application(exe) file on your hard drive, and hit the keys (applekey i). (for get info).

This is the same as the "properties" shortcut in windows.

You'll see a window that has a small toggle box at the top...which currently reads.."general info". Click on that and select "memory".

From there, you'll see 3 numbers at the bottom all in "k". The bottom number (preferred) is all you want to change. Type a higher ram allocation there (in k).

(Digi has some recommendations for all these things..in the support section)

Next is..that most of the system .dlls..are all in the systemfolder of Mac OS9 and they are called "extensions" (or system extensions)

There is a control panel called the extensions manager that allows you to make different startup sets..of what loads.

This helps as well...the mac ..on the left side of the screen is backwards from Windows.

where in windows...the start menu is at bottom left..and you go up..to control panels...on mac..you start at top left (the apple menu) and go "down" to control panels.

What you want to do is toggle certain extensions that are not needed for PTs...off. Restrat the computer to load the new set.

You'll also find the "memory" control panel here in the control panels under apple menu that you will need to access to make some other changes recommended by Digi for OS9.

This memory control panel...is where you set virtual memory (on off and amount ..which is equivilent to Windows paging file)...and..your disk cache settings.

The file system in mac OS is very different than windows. All the files identity..etc..file type..is all carried within each file. You can drag..copy..move them..even drag copy your OS9 systm folder to another disk and boot from it. (not recommended if you've done a dual boot OS9/X install..as OSX does "not" work this way).

There is no "registry" to deal with..etc.

Only prefs..in the systemfolder/prefs folder. That's it.

That and any extensions/drivers that get loaded.

It's dead simple to use..and maintain.

There are no "directory paths" in Mac os classic. Everyfile..is tracked via an invisible dir called the "desktop file".

If this file becomes corrupted..it "could' possiblly lead to file/disk damage...(but is very rare). So it's a good idea to rebuild this file once in a while. (restart hold applekey,optionkey) until it asks if you want to rebuild the desktop on volume..etc.

Other key commands to know

applekey, option, esc...to force quit an app.

Basically, applekey functions as "cntrl" on PC for most things. For instance, applekey, a is select all, applekey, x is cut. applekey, v is paste...

So, knowing that..you'll qucikly find yourself at home. (most of the keybaord shortcuts..are written next to the commands in the file menu).

One last thing...apps do NOT release ram until they are completely closed.

Most mac apps do not "quit" by closing the window. You have to have them in front..and quit them.

What happens is...the app not currently in use..goes to the backround. So, it's easy to forget you have not closed something.

The way to check...the "finder" which is in the upper right corner (the little smiley face)...shows all the current running apps. (like the task bar).

If you forget to close the apps..your not working with...you will quickly run out of memory..just dpending on how much emmeory the apps take..and how much you have.

It's a good idea..to "always" assign at least a little more memory to all your apps (exe) than default.

For instance..IE..by default..is about 14 megs of ram for preferred. Set this to at least 32 megs (or..32,000k aprox)...or it will just "unexpectedly quit" on you.

Because macs do not have memory protection...or dyanmaically allocate ram..it's quite easy to get memory fragments when opening and closing apps manytimes. (this is only for OS9...not OSX). Because of that..if there is a memory fragment left in memory space by one app after it's close ..and you try and load another program into that same space..."wham" type 3 error"..etc.

Just restart your mac...and it refreshens everything.

That's about it...should get you started.

Follow digi's recommendations for extension sets, memory allocations..etc..and you should be good to go.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:56 PM

Now these are tips that I can use!
Thank you very much, dcornutt!
If there are more tips like these, let me know.

Thanx! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 12:12 AM

You did not mention what Protools hardware you are using. If you have HD hardware, you can't use the 5.1.1 software anyway as the HD hardware started at version 5.3. I would only go with OS9 if I had a Mix system and did not have/buy the upgrade to PT6. Not going directly to OS X cause you want to use a CD digi sent you does not sound right. You build your solution per the hardware you are going to be using. What hardware are you using?
Old 07-02-2003, 06:15 PM

Your a saint, your post is so thorough it can work in reverse and help a hardcore OS9er to get a better grasp of Windows. Wow thanks a million, hope to return the favor some time, some how.

MMJ
Old 07-03-2003, 12:33 AM

Your Welcome [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here's the link to the detailed setting info you'll need for configuring OS 9 or optimal performance.

http://www.digidesign.com/support/faq/ptmac.html#1