Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2003, 09:26 AM

Default Bombfactory rental Plan

I know Bombfactory isnt everyones favourite company in terms of customer services, however they have come up with a scheme that deserves a pat on the back.

quoted from their site

Bomb Factory Releases Plutonium Pack
It's like MassivePack -- without the filler

Available in High Definition and Value Editions, the Bomb Factory Plutonium PackTM provides a no-nonsense, no-filler bundle of the most demanded processors in pro audio.

Fifteen plug-ins are included at one low price:

Bomb Factory 1176
Bomb Factory LA-2A
Bomb Factory LA-3A
FairchildTM 660
moogerfoogerTM Lowpass Filter
moogerfoogerTM 12-Stage Phase
moogerfoogerTM Ring Modulator
moogerfoogerTM Analog Delay
Pultec EQP-1A
SansAmpTM PSA-1
Tel-RayTM Variable Delay
VoceTM Spin
VoceTM Chorus/Vibrato
BF EssentialTM Meter Bridge
BF EssentialTM Tuner

The High Definition version works with Pro Tools 6 or later on Windows XP or Mac OS X. It also includes preliminary support for HD ACCEL hardware. Price is $2,495.

The Value Edition is limited only in that it does not support sample rates above 48kHz. It works with Pro Tools LE and Pro Tools MIX TDM systems on Windows, Mac OS 9, and Mac OS X. Price is $1,295.

Both packages reflect more than $1,000 in savings off the suggested retail price.

Another First From Bomb Factory: Software Rentals
The Bomb Factory Plutonium Pack may also be rented for $249/week with discounts available for longer periods. Please contact Bomb Factory Sales if you are interested in purchasing a time-limited license for your next project.
Order Now
The Bomb Factory Plutonium Pack is available exclusively from the Bomb Factory website and only for a limited time. Offer expires November 30, 2003.
To purchase, visit www.bombfactory.com and click "Buy Online."

end quote

Ok you might ask so what big deal, well the big deal is the rental bit.

Most of us in studios have some great outboard gear but every now and then we need brand x valve thingmejig so we hire it in.

well its about time plugins got that way as well we can rent a package like this on a project basis, of course it has to be the priced right $249 for plutonium for a week seems a tad high but not too drastic. It is clearly for those of us who cant afford all the best plugs but can pick and choose the ones we'll keep and the ones great but not used too often. For me waves is great but 55% of the plugins are rarely used yes we use compressors and eq, but realistically how many of us use the rest.

I remember discussing this with Eric yonks ago (thanks ilok) he mentioned that they wer interested in it as an idea so here it is. I say Eric deserves the kudos on this one and rightly so.
Lets hope the other software companies follow suit. What we all want is better and more plugins not less and less due to priracy it would be such a shame for bombfactory, mcdsp, sony plugins and all the opther great plugin companies to close down due to piracy. Of course a rental scheme can help reduce it and i think this will catch on big time.

Well done Eric

Old 09-25-2003, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Bombfactory rental Plan

Out with the old in with the new...Simple!!!

If the plan is to come out with a new Apple every 6 months, New Digi SW & HW every 6 months, New plugs every 6 months.... It's just not worth it!!! When HD came out we didn't even get full 192k plugs!!!! I've been moving back towards more outboard equipment which has a worth value over a longer period of time.

Plug company's are just trying to move all the old plugs out because of the new Accel card and your going to pay again, again, again........Feeding you like sheep!!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 01:04 PM

"If the plan is to come out with a new Apple every 6 months"

They come out more often than that...and peecees more often still.

When a 1.2ghz mac comes out, do you go out and sell your 1.1ghz mac?
Do you buy new shoes whenever Nike comes out with a new one?
Do you buy a new car every year?
A new TV? A new DVD player?

I still don't understand why people get so freaked out...how does a new product stop you from using what you have?
Old 09-25-2003, 02:21 PM

Couldn't agree more Mike. Especially considering that that's the nature of this business. Does anyone think that Accel will be the last thing Digi makes? Or the G5 for Apple?

If the reality of upgrades are too frustrating to handle, then don't! The system you have still works.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:45 PM

The rental plan is a great idea. I think it'll be a success. Hopefully in the future there will be more options, e.g. renting the compressors and limiters only. The rental packages should be for a group of plugs that are somehow related. I could see wanting the compressors, limiterss and eq, but I doubt I would need the moogerfooger stuff as well. But I think it's a step in the right direction. Hmmm... maybe I should rent out my ilok?!?

Just kidding,

-fb
Old 09-25-2003, 04:13 PM

Quote:
"

I still don't understand why people get so freaked out...how does a new product stop you from using what you have?
Well lets see PT 6 stoped me from using every plugin I had. Some were upgraded for free some for not too much some for too much and some are gone forever and some will be updated someday suposedly. I love working with plugs but were paying an aufull lot for a lisence to use a plug with no expectation that you will be able to use it in five years. Ie if you want to back up you better print it all to disk because that EQ you slaved over won't open five years from now and you wont even be able to look at the settings. I have an EQ from the 60's that still works and is actually worth more now, can't say that about any plugs and with iLok you can't even transfer your lisence to someone else. Talk about depreciation 1/2 second after you authorize it it's worth nothing, monitaraly speaking.
As I said I love working with plugs BUT I always ballance whether I'll be better off with a box and I've been siding with the box more than I used to.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:49 PM

Noiz,

Don't have to upgrade if you find it too expensive. What Mike said is true. The 6.1 upgrade didnt' disable 5. We choose to disable 5 by upgrading to 6.

As for what's going to happen in five years...of course you better be backing up as .wav or AES....whatever, in a contiguous form with a common starting point. backed up to a format that will be able to be played then. That's what will be needed in the future. Forget about plugins...it's not going to happen. They will become obsolete or companies will go out of business. In five years no matter if you upgrade every time you can, you can't replay the mix perfectly. But so what? Print with the plugin, and do a version without. That;'s the recommendation so we cal all work on this stuff in the future.

Until PT came around, no one ever required producers and engineers to have every single piece of gear and console they mixed with on hand so they would be able to perfectly reproduce a mix on a Neve or SSL This obsession has only occurred in the last few years. The past 30 or so years of pop music never worried about this and neither should we. Hell, we'll probably beat the old mix anyway!

Just hold on to the system you have until you feel you must have the newest version of PT or whatever. For one thing, in five years you can still play it back!
Old 09-26-2003, 03:31 AM

Am I the only one that doesnt like Bombfactory plugins. and it has nothing to do with Erik .
I honestly regret purchasing the 2 compressors as I simply think they sound awful and cannot get tem to fit. Maybe im missing something?

Anyway, at that price even though its supposed to be good value the only one of any use to me would be the delay.

in saying that however, there are very few plugins I like. So its maybe just me. Would be interested to hear from folks who enjoy BF plugs.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:37 AM

mike connelly,

Do you think your telling me something new? This is not brain surgery As I said "out with old in with the new" Also, I'm very familiar with Digi's process starting with PTII........most of you had to be in by dark and don't remember. I just find it amazing how many of you keep buying and buying, upgrading and upgrading....
Your correct I don't have to upgrade and you know what..................I'm not!!! This topic was about Bombfactory and not the Acell card maybe you didn't comprehend the post and started freaking out ? I usually upgrade about ever two years when there's major changes in hardware, computers....
My main complaint is: I would like the process to slow down so change over isn't a problem as mentioned new plugs not working, new OS not working with Digi SW, Software having tons of bugs.... Never had this problem with my Studer..........Oh, maybe your not familiar with Studer it's an analog tape machine.....
Old 09-26-2003, 10:56 AM

$900.00 off the selling price not bad if you really need all the extras.