Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Default Mbox Mini VS Pro Sound Quality

Is there much difference in the sound quality between the Mini and Pro?

I'm thinking about the line inputs (I know there's a difference in the pre amps) and the monitor outputs... Is there a big difference there?

I'm currently have a mini but I'm ready to upgrade if there is much difference.
I'm also looking at the 003 Rack+, but I never record more than 2 channels at the same time, so not sure it's worth the money for me :)

- Anders
Old 08-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Wink Re: Mbox Mini VS Pro Sound Quality

There might be some guys about to post on this that'll make you feel stupid, so don't listen to them. Guys on here eat questions like this alive to make themselves feel smarter.

Yes there is a difference a huge difference, but audio like with most other things you get what you pay for. Buy more if you can. There are cheaper/smarter ways to get a better sound than some depending on what your looking to record. If you want examples PM me. good luck
Old 08-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Mbox Mini VS Pro Sound Quality

I want to eat questions like this alive to make me feel smarter but unfortunately it's not working. The difference in sound quality between the Mbox2Mini and the Mbox2Pro are more due to the digital to analog converters than the mic pres. I'm not saying that the mic pres are exactly the same but they probably contribute less to the the difference in sound than the converters do. Now having said that, there are not a lot of folks out there that think the mic pres in the Mbox2 series (or the 002/003 series) are that stellar to begin with. They are at best, workable.

In the hands of a good engineer, they can still turn that average mic pre into a great sounding song. On the other hand an average engineer may not necessarily make a great sounding song out of the most esoteric gear.

Give me more of these types of questions to eat. I need to get smarter.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:14 PM

OD said it well, but so far, everyone has left out other important considerations. In all fairness, you didn't ask this, but I think it bears thought. The big difference between the Mini and the Pro has nothing to do with the preamp(as said, a good engineer will make the most of it and can do excellent recordings). The difference is the firewire interface vs. the USB interface. Work flow is important, and anything that makes it easier to work(or more pleasant) will help inspire you and keep you creative. read up on the USB versions MIX knob and how/why you need it. The Pro, being firewire, does not suffer from that little "friend" and may make your recording process a lot easier, especially when it comes to punching in. All I am saying is, do a bit more homework and make an informed choice. I'd much rather hear how excited you are than how frustrated you are with the recording process. Others can feel free to disagree as I don't use Mbox.

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-04-2009, 03:46 PM

Well, the Firewire VS USB does not make much difference for me, and it certainly don't make any difference to the workflow :)

I was thinking about the digital/analog converters, and the difference in sound quality there...

I have done my homework, but I had a single simple question which the other guys answered, thanks guys, you only assumed I did not know anything
Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolin View Post
Well, the Firewire VS USB does not make much difference for me, and it certainly don't make any difference to the workflow :)

I was thinking about the digital/analog converters, and the difference in sound quality there...

I have done my homework, but I had a single simple question which the other guys answered, thanks guys, you only assumed I did not know anything
I don't actually assume anything, but often will include info based on knowing that a lot of folks that are really new to all this may be reading as well. Back to your question, since the 2 units you are comparing are of roughly the same vintage, I would expect them to sound very much the same as they likely use the same preamp circuit and the same converters. Comparing a newer Mbox to the older 001/002 would almost certainly sound different. If you are already familiar with using the MIX knob and don't find it a hindrance, more power to ya. For me, it would be a deal breaker.

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 PM

I actually don't use the mix knob
Old 08-05-2009, 02:30 AM

The main differences in terms of spec are:

1) Firewire (This inturn will allow you to use low latency monitoring instead of the annoying mix knob).

2) RIAA amplifier for vinyl input.

3) Word clock

AS for the pre's and converters i wouldn't expect them to be massively different, best to look at the spec sheets for that info.