Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2001, 05:47 PM

Default Re: C-24 Monitor section

Yeah, the monitor output on my C24 is definately way down. Prior to getting the C24 I was monitoring off the 888's dig out to my PSX100's D/A's. Even then my Hafler P7000 was way too loud because minimum output on it is 15 db. I can crank the C24's monitor pot all the way up & it's just barely too loud. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Perhaps a simple resistor change? I ain't getting in there to find out [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2001, 08:53 PM

Funny since these problems have come up we have had only one response from digi to say they are looking at the finish problem and will get back to us from the 25th of June.
Nothing to say they are looking at other problems. A few have seen to be fixed by returning the unit.

I wonder if it is just a QA as these things are made in China.

Although the output problem seems to be consistant with everyone who has one.

I can understand that digi does not want to confirm anything until they have it resolved. Otherwise buyers would wait for the fixed version before purchasing.(lost sales for digi)
It is a great console.

I just hope we get our old models fixed. Before this forum was split I read about the pro control owners paying for an upgrade that is basically a design fault to start with. http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...&f=29&t=000287
Old 07-13-2001, 12:11 AM

I tried the little test.

888 to amp all the gain I'd ever want.

C24 monitor out to amp -19db ouch!

Anyone form Digidesgn engineering care to comment about this design.

Maybe the guys who think the monitor level from the C24 is OK have powered speakers set to -10 rather than +4
Old 07-13-2001, 12:44 AM

Dear Rollerex

I hope you dont feel that I've hi-jacked your thread, but Im sure you agree with me that we need some answers and a firm commitment from Digidesign as to what they propose to do about this issue.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:34 AM

I have been informed by Digi that this problem requires a firmware update to resolve. What I havent been told is when we can expect it. It does not seem reasonable to me given the misinformation on their spec sheet that they could possibly charge us for fixing this problem. If you think about it Monitoring is the most important aspect of recording/mixing. As its not a case of +4 or -10 a gain make up device would have to be variable in order to put out the correct output. In my opinion they made a mistake underestimating their customers. I believe they honestly thought we wouldn't notice! I made sure they were aware of this very early on.

It is definately time to hear from Digi on this issue. Time for some old fashioned honesty.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:44 AM

Just to add to my previous post...

If you crank the monitor pot on the console to the last third distortion starts to creep into the signal so its not a good idea to be fooring that pot. If the console was outputing correctly you wouldnt need to. I bought this console to monitor 5.1 and at present im not using this part of the board at all and sticking with the 888s output which is a far from satisfactory state of affairs.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:23 AM

I have to sound off about this also. I've been a PT user for a looong time now and the Control 24, while a good solution, has a finish that is MELTING away and the output is simoly not even close. I had a HUI before picking up a C24 two months ago and it looks in better shape. Please, Digi, let us know what we can so about this.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:09 PM

Rollerex,
Did DIGI provide any schematics with the control surface?
Are schematics available?
Old 07-16-2001, 06:15 PM

No I don't have a schematic for the C-24.

This brings up another sticky issue.
Digidesign is now in the console buisness.
A C24 requires special shipping.
I think they are too big/heavy to send via UPS.

How about some local service?
Old 07-17-2001, 08:12 AM

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] HELLO, DIGI?? HELLO. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
This is your customer base calling.
What is up the monitor section? I just sold my 2" machine and got a line of credit to purchase a Mix cubed and Control 24. (setting up for 5.1 mixing)
I personally go to the big speakers often, so I can feel where the low end is. I need volume.
When I demoed the C24 at my audio retailer, I just figured they had the trim pots turned down on the speakers they were hooked up to. I am surprised to here that the problem may lie with the C24 monitor section.
Now my last service tech modified my Amek control room monitor pot with a resistor for a smoother taper. Now I am not a tech, but I have learned a little by watching and helping out the techs I hire. So I would tend to believe that the problem is with the pot itself. Does the pot have too much resistance or is there an overly aggressive resistor in the monitor path? (ANY TECHS OUT THERE??)
Since DIGI IS STONE WALLING everybody. Maybe they are waiting for one of you guys to pay a tech to fix it. Then let them know how it was done.
By the way DIGI are the schematics available for people that do need them for in house service? It would be helpful and certainly save you some headaches not to mention you would find some guys who do have good techs or the funds to pay good techs to fix these bugs.
I have bought enough pro gear, cars and motorcycles to know that when you get a newly designed product in its first year of production, there will be bugs. Whether it be a monitor pot or a poorly designed rear linkage. That's the price for the "I need the newest and best now."
My problem is not that the monitor section outputs are low. My problem is that you are not addressing the problem in a timely manner. The finish is one thing (cosmetic) but this monitor problem is very serious. I will hold off purchasing this unit until I talk to my DIGI rep from NY.
I need to know if I can at least get a schematic of the monitor section before I purchase this thing. If this is your beta console give me some schematics so I can find someone to fix this.
Or better yet, instead of us having to pay a guy to sit and read the schematics, to figure out which wire trace(s) to cut and what value resistor(s) to put where. At least have your techs figure that stuff out and send us a schematic with the new design.
I know that is not what the people on this thread want to hear. However it is a solution, and it is one that keeps your console in house and only down for a couple of hours. (OK, that sessions' profit went to pay the tech, however your control 24 will monitor properly.) That is a good thing.

FYI My other board is an Amek Big which I paid $22,500 for. I did have to modify it because of a poorly designed buss structure. Go figure. However the finish did last about 2 1/2 years, until wear started to show around the control room monitor pot.
I figure for the price of this control 24 I can throw it out after 3 years and get the NEW even better SUPER DUPER surface that does even more and costs even less.

DIGI I just want to deal with a company that is straight up. If your products have problems please address them and let us know what you are thinking about doing to fix them. That's all. Bad news is better than no news in this case. And good news is better than bad news. (incase you were wondering) [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

PROFESSIONAL GEAR MANUFACTURERS ALWAYS PROVIDE SCHEMATICS. i.e. AMEK, OTARI, NEVE, SSL. That way we can fix things in the field.
And who ever at DIGI is reading this. Talk to whoever you need to talk to about providing schematics.
I know the schematics were not included when DIGI determined the list price of the unit. I would be willing to pay a couple extra bucks for the security that only a schematic can provide. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]