Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 03-07-2020, 12:21 AM

Default Ultimate reinstatement, renewal date from purchase, not renewal??

EDIT: I will leave this post here for the sake of the record but it turns out I didn't order from Thomann at all...I ordered from Avid directly. Clearly I read something on their site wrongly but there's no need to go pointing the finger at Thomann. Sorry for the confusion!!

I reinstated my HD10 license to Ultimate today. I had bought the reinstatement on December 18th 2019 but held off using it until today. Now in my account it says the renewal date is December 18th 2020.

I assumed renewal would be from activation date, not purchase date? That's the only way it makes sense...If renewal is from purchase date, it would be impossible for someone to have bought the reinstatement and use it after a year.

The only thing I could think that could be the "gotcha" here would be that I bought it from Thomann...upon purchase it said something along the lines of "we recommend you transfer this to your account immediately...you don't have to but this is recommended" and then by transferring it to the account you start your timer at that point. Surely that's not the case...? What would be the point in that?

Last edited by Teej; 03-09-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Ultimate reinstatement, renewal date from purchase, not renewal??

hmmm this is not cool.. I have a reinstatement I bought at the end of December and held off using after seeing avid go on the record and say that these don't have to be used straight away... which implies that they will start from when they are used... I would like official word from avid about this also before officially instating mine.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:09 AM

Did you put in your account in December?
""we recommend you transfer this to your account immediately...you don't have to but this is recommended" and then by transferring it to the account you start your timer at that point."
Old 03-07-2020, 11:24 AM

I also bought a reinstatement in December and asked Sweetwater if the year of updates starts at purchase date or at activation date and their answer was very clear: at activation date.
Maybe it's different with Thomann but I don't think so.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Did you put in your account in December?
""we recommend you transfer this to your account immediately...you don't have to but this is recommended" and then by transferring it to the account you start your timer at that point."
Yes I did...that's what I'm saying. The part you underlined was me taking a guess at what could possibly could have happened, not what the Thomann website said.

At no point was I made aware that adding it to my account would start the timer, which is what appeared to have happened. When it's added to your account and not activated (as I did), it's just sitting in your Avid products list with a dropdown list of eligible licenses you can activate it from (I had two options) so it's clearly not an active license yet. It's also not on your iLok until the point at which you activate (which I did today.) Avid made it clear you could buy these and use them at any time in the future, so this is what I did.

This is why I'm completely surprised that my renewal is from my purchase/transfer date, and not the activation date. It doesn't make sense and I'm assuming it's an error which is why I'm raising it here.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:35 AM

Thomann said transfering it to your account starts the timer. You didn't read the instructions...
Old 03-07-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Thomann said transfering it to your account starts the timer. You didn't read the instructions...
Did it really?? Can you confirm that?
Old 03-07-2020, 03:05 PM

I am not Jfreak BUT if that started in the wrong month I will escalate this to Avid support for you and make sure you get a full year as you paid for a Year support plan and not 9 month plan ...

Hang in there and I will send this to the correct people at Avid no matter what weird text Thomann use.

Sent to Support so someone will PM or email you soon brother.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-08-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I am not Jfreak BUT if that started in the wrong month I will escalate this to Avid support for you and make sure you get a full year as you paid for a Year support plan and not 9 month plan ...

Hang in there and I will send this to the correct people at Avid no matter what weird text Thomann use.

Thanks I appreciate that very much, especially considering it looks like at least partially my fault (if not entirely...I can't remember the exact wording of what was on the Thomann site...perhaps it was misleading, perhaps I just can't read...)

Have a great weekend!
Old 03-09-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

Just so it is brought to your attention, I was completely wrong about this...I actually ordered from Avid directly. Amazing the games the mind plays even after only a couple months. Sorry for the confusion/completely wrong information and thanks again for the help. I have relayed this information to Avid Support.