Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-29-2022, 03:10 AM

Default MIDI Weirdness Persists in 2022.7

I installed 2022.7 for a test run, but almost immediately rolled back to 2022.5 after finding MIDI unusable. I converted 4 bars of audio to MIDI and pasted it into an instrument track. The resulting MIDI wasn't perfect so I tried to edit it in the MIDI edit window only to discover the mouse tools weren't working. Notes could be resized and quantized, but couldn't be moved with the mouse. Velocity couldn't be changed with the mouse. I also noticed weirdness with the mouse tools shape-shifting when trying to edit an audio clipgain line. I was in the middle of a project and didn't have time time to investigate further, so I quickly uninstalled PT and rolled back.

This is disgraceful, Avid. Two versions in a row with badly broken MIDI? Please fix the bugs immediately. There was another report here about stuck graphics in the mix window. Please fix that too, and don't mess with anything else... MIDI isn't great in PT, but it's been very usable in previous versions. Please stop messing with it and breaking it. Let's just have one good working version with functional MIDI and graphics, thank you.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:38 AM

Default Re: MIDI Weirdness Persists in 2022.7

Originally Posted by mtmusic :

However, I discovered a new aspect of my bug. If I follow my same operations while in Grid mode, everything works the way it should. My bug only happens when I create the clip by consolidating in Slip mode, which could be why some may have trouble reproducing this bug.

When you consolidate to create an empty region WHILE in slip mode, the notes entered into the clip cannot be selected/quantized/moved. BUT, if you do not consolidate to create a region and simply record the notes creating a new region, everything works as it should....

This is still going on in 2022.7
Old 07-29-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
I installed 2022.7 for a test run, but almost immediately rolled back to 2022.5 after finding MIDI unusable. I converted 4 bars of audio to MIDI and pasted it into an instrument track. The resulting MIDI wasn't perfect so I tried to edit it in the MIDI edit window only to discover the mouse tools weren't working. Notes could be resized and quantized, but couldn't be moved with the mouse. Velocity couldn't be changed with the mouse. I also noticed weirdness with the mouse tools shape-shifting when trying to edit an audio clipgain line. I was in the middle of a project and didn't have time time to investigate further, so I quickly uninstalled PT and rolled back.

This is disgraceful, Avid. Two versions in a row with badly broken MIDI? Please fix the bugs immediately. There was another report here about stuck graphics in the mix window. Please fix that too, and don't mess with anything else... MIDI isn't great in PT, but it's been very usable in previous versions. Please stop messing with it and breaking it. Let's just have one good working version with functional MIDI and graphics, thank you.
I totally agree! Please Avid, FIX THIS ASAP!!
Old 07-29-2022, 07:33 AM

Yes, something went wrong in .6 and now .7 that was fine in .5.

This in Windows 11 as well but from other threads here also the on Mac.

My guess is that it has something to do with undo buffers or buffers allowed for making midi edits because it seems to occur between 100 to 200 edits into building a midi track. Things just lock up. Not to mention erratic mouse interaction along the way.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:05 PM

Yes, it is broken, but what I’ve noticed on my system (mac) is that if I use the docked editor, MIDI edits, selection, etc. seem to work most of the time.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 07-30-2022, 01:00 AM

This is beyond a joke.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:51 AM

I haven't been able to repro the MIDI problems in a brand new 2022.7 session.
Only able to repro when working with MIDI in previous sessions (Sessions created in PT12 to PT Studio 2022.5 - Issues duplicating accurately).
But no issues in sessions created before PT12 (PT10 thru 11 - When there were no issues duplicating accurately).
Turns out a lot of my drum tracks were created in 10 & 11.
I opened those sessions as a test and didn't have any issues that I can repro right off in sessions created in PT12 - PT Studio 2022.5)

So my thought is that The new MIDI framework and any session from PT12-2022.5 are incompatible. For MIDI editing in my sessions anyway.

With fresh new MIDI data in a 2022.7 session I've been able to work without issue so far.
When I say "new session" I don't mean importing previous session data into 2022.7.
Everything has to be from scratch.

I tested a new session with 4 instrument tracks, dragging & dropping a bunch of random drum loops onto the tracks. Then started quantizing & editing randomly all over the tracks.
No issues so far with new tracks created in 2022.7.
But if I open a session with previous MIDI session data (PT12-2022.5) I can repro bugs old & new right away.

You can read a few more details about my recent test session here:
Comment #8.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...03#post2643203

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 07-30-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:30 AM

I experienced this midi issue in .7 in a new session.

The work around was to change the track to samples instead of tick.

I went back to.4 it seems to be the more stable of the bunch.

This is getting so old.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the workaround tip.

So far I've been able to work fine in new 2022.7 sessions and only repro problems in previous sessions.
Update: Only if those sessions were created from PT12 up to 2022.5.

I opened up sessions created in PT 10 & 11 last night and was able to work without issue in those sessions also.
Those versions are when I didn't have the issues that existed from PT12 up to 2022.5 (Unable to duplicate accurately - Notes getting misaligned).

So basically, this creates a personal PT version compatibility chart for my MIDI editing sessions:

New sessions and previous sessions (PT10-11) work well in PT 2022.7.

Session created in PT12-2022.5 do not work well in 2022.7 and are outright broken in those previous versions for me when it comes to duplicating and cutting and inserting MIDI arrangements.
Those version have been broken for over 2 years for myself and others.

I'm thinking we now have two different MIDI frameworks that are mathematically incompatible & will be flawed or fixed depending on when your sessions were created and what your workflows are.

I've still yet to test MIDI combined with Audio in 2022.7 though.
But last night, I was finally able to arrange (cut/insert) & edit drum tracks easily like I used to in PT 10 & 11.
So that makes 2022.7 my version of choice for now.

To finally have all the latest features paid for the past two years AND be able to drag, drop & duplicate a drum loop. Wow...

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Last edited by take77; 07-30-2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountclear View Post
I experienced this midi issue in .7 in a new session.

The work around was to change the track to samples instead of tick.

I went back to.4 it seems to be the more stable of the bunch.

This is getting so old.
Thanks for the update. What steps did you take to repro?

I was finally able to repro not being able to select a MIDI note in a new session. It took a while though.
It was after using the Space Clips function (just after quantizing a group of clips).
I was able to quantize, select & trim notes every which way but loose before that.

I also discovered that by simply sliding the clip over a bit and back into place (in Grid Mode) I could then select & move the notes again.

Let me know if that works easily enough for now.

Last edited by take77; 07-31-2022 at 11:54 PM.