Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 08-29-2020, 05:11 AM

Default MTRX Studio to Mac Core Audio?

Is it possible to output audio from the MTRX Studio over Dante and route it into a core audio driver that can be picked up by conferencing/ remote working software?
The Source connect, Source nexus plugin seems to be one way to do it, but I wondered if it could be done with my existing hardware using a combination of Dante outputs and Dante Via or Dante VSC?
I could use a core audio driver for the main PT output, but I'd like to keep my main surround output through The MTRX Studio and send a stereo folddown from an aux in PT to core audio.

Anyone have any experience with that kind of setup?
Old 08-29-2020, 06:53 AM
Avid

Default Re: MTRX Studio to Mac Core Audio?

Even with DVS and MTRX / MTRX Studio I still find it extremely valuable to leverage SE NEXUS to create virtual send and receive nodes visible to core audio for each and every streaming app like Zoom, Meets, SC Now, Listento, etc.

For one, it gets around the channel limitations of applications and core audio. For example, if you want to output stereo audio out of iTunes on your Mac - it needs to be DVS Channels 1-2. You don’t have the ability to configure the specific outputs from a pool of paths like you do with Logic for example.

Source-Nexus Control is a simple app that allows you create the send and receive nodes (core audio paths) for each streamer. I don’t know what the maximum number is, but it’s quite large and can easily accommodate any workflow. I have templates for both Pro Tools and MTRX (monitor profiles) for streaming and would be happy to share any of these.

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-29-2020, 09:35 AM

Thanks Jeff.
I managed to get it working with a stereo Dante output, using Dante Via.
But Dante Via only sees the whole MTRX Studio, all 64 channels.
So I guess if I output anything else over Dante that will also be sent to the Dante Via stereo output?
I can see why you favour Source Nexus. It seems to be the best solution for getting computer audio paths in and out of PT easily.
I would only ever stream stereo or 5.1 perhaps, if the host could handle it,
So those paths are fairly easy to set up, but thanks for the offer of the templates.
Perhaps there should be a separate forum page for MTRX and MTRX Studio?
We seem to have hijacked the HDX and HD Native one.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:37 AM
Avid

Good idea! Stand by....

MTRX FAQ
Old 08-29-2020, 10:55 PM

I think you just need the Dante Controller app to specify which of the 64 channels go to the the Dante Via Stereo Pair and the Dante Via 16 channels pair.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:32 AM
Avid

Dante Via has its own unique attributes:
48k only
10ms buffer
DVS & Via can be installed but can’t run concurrent.

If 48k is where you live 100% of the time then it might be a viable solution.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 08-30-2020, 11:28 AM

Yes, 48k is where I live 99.9% of the time.
Thanks Henning I'll check out the app.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:12 PM

I have installed an MTRX with the 64 channel Dante option card and a Focusrite Red4 Pre (that has a 32 channel@48K Dante implementation) at a client´s studio. Works great, we send Dante (converted from Digilink) via the MTRX to the Focusrite and gets converted to Core Audio via Thunderbolt to the MAC and vice versa. Very powerful and you decide the combinations. It can be stereo, 5.1, 7.1, 7.1.4, whatever up to 32 channels. Channel numbers from 1 to 32 chosen by the user. No DVS needed. You can also easily have paths between PT HDX and Core Audio DAW´s with low latency, retaining HDX as the playback engine.

I think that the MTRX Studio biggest drawbacks is the lack of a Thunderbolt connection, AVID could have gone a bit further without keeping it exclusively within the Digilink realm. They would sell more units too, in particular for people that use other DAW´s apart from PT.

Of course the Source Nexus is much cheaper than the Focusrite, but it´s a different ball game too in terms of flexibility.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 08-31-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
I have installed an MTRX with the 64 channel Dante option card and a Focusrite Red4 Pre (that has a 32 channel@48K Dante implementation) at a client´s studio. Works great, we send Dante (converted from Digilink) via the MTRX to the Focusrite and gets converted to Core Audio via Thunderbolt to the MAC and vice versa. Very powerful and you decide the combinations. It can be stereo, 5.1, 7.1, 7.1.4, whatever up to 32 channels. Channel numbers from 1 to 32 chosen by the user. No DVS needed. You can also easily have paths between PT HDX and Core Audio DAW´s with low latency, retaining HDX as the playback engine.

I think that the MTRX Studio biggest drawbacks is the lack of a Thunderbolt connection, AVID could have gone a bit further without keeping it exclusively within the Digilink realm. They would sell more units too, in particular for people that use other DAW´s apart from PT.

Of course the Source Nexus is much cheaper than the Focusrite, but it´s a different ball game too in terms of flexibility.
I do something very similar with the Red 16Line but I use DVS as well.

Also because you can route inputs to multiple outputs with Dante I also have all my mic preamps sent to Digilink inputs 1-16 and the first 16 Dante channel inputs on the Red 16Line.
This means I have parity with inputs for Logic and Pro Tools Ultimate.
The Dante outputs of the Red 16Line goes up to MTRX monitoring section.

Works great.

The case for DVS though is you don't need to have a second device turned on for Mac system sounds.
It also means I can separate system sounds from the Focusrite outputs so any system alerts don't annoy when tracking or mixing.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 08-31-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
I do something very similar with the Red 16Line but I use DVS as well.

Also because you can route inputs to multiple outputs with Dante I also have all my mic preamps sent to Digilink inputs 1-16 and the first 16 Dante channel inputs on the Red 16Line.
This means I have parity with inputs for Logic and Pro Tools Ultimate.
The Dante outputs of the Red 16Line goes up to MTRX monitoring section.

Works great.

The case for DVS though is you don't need to have a second device turned on for Mac system sounds.
It also means I can separate system sounds from the Focusrite outputs so any system alerts don't annoy when tracking or mixing.

Yeah, great. A very flexible layout indeed!

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3