Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Default 3D Workflow

Hey all -

So we're doing our first 3D project for a museum installation - and I was wondering if any of you are changing your playback workflows to include 3D playback. From other posts on Gearslutz, it appears as though most are still working in 2D and then using the director to tell them more about the 3D image. Those posts were a little old however...so I was wondering if any of you have any other thoughts.

Seems pretty expensive to change around a whole playback system for 3D...however my first thought is that I'll really want to see depth of field for SFX design.

Thanks for your input!

------------------------------------------------
pt hd 9.0.5
mac os x 10.6.7
2 x 2.66ghz dual core intel
7gb ram
fibre drives via facilis terrablock
video out - sdi mojo
Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Default Re: 3D Workflow

Hi,
I have actually worked on a short 3D project but I was given the animation in 2D. As far as I know QuickTime is not yet supporting true 3D imaging...
The mix was in 5.1 though but yes the director explained me the cues but even without the 3D image it was pretty obvious.

Best,
Mitch
Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 AM

You just need a 3D screen and side-by-side QTs in PT. Not really rocket science. The most expensive part is the monitor. Avoid the ones that need shutter-glasses. JVC GD-463D10 is quite nice.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:18 AM

I did some stereoscopic animation stuff last year and I got QT's delivered in the old red/blue 3D format (forgotten its name) for ref and normal 2D to work too - our final proper stereoscopic printmaster was done at the end of the process as it was a bitch properly rendering it out for me. You could see the general 3D 'moments' on the red/blue QT so you knew when to push & pull from the screen that bit extra but it will wreck you eyes working or editing to it hence the 2d version too (think the official recommendation is 20 min at a time max otherwise the effect is lost). Personally, 3D kinda makes me a bit sick but people's responses vary so I only ever checked stuff in 3D.

I seem to remember the Avatar guys did most of their work with 2D and did a pass with 3D at the end, maybe check the Soundworks videos..
Old 04-12-2011, 06:24 AM

Thanks all - I appreciate the thoughts. Frank - makes total sense...I'll have to give that one a whirl if I can get the money for that monitor. Just have to judge how much of this we'll end up doing...

Thanks again

------------------------------------------------
pt hd 9.0.5
mac os x 10.6.7
2 x 2.66ghz dual core intel
7gb ram
fibre drives via facilis terrablock
video out - sdi mojo
Old 04-14-2011, 06:43 AM

I think it would be pretty funny if us post guys will start having to wear 3D glasses to work. My eyes are already hurting by the end of the day, along with my hands, wrists, back, neck oh and my ears from the head animator who was a musician and keeps telling the director what I should be doing differently!!!