Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2004, 07:32 PM

Default Successful 6.4 users please post...

Most of us are quick to post when we have problems with a new update and we sometimes discourage those who are considering an update.
ANy of you that have not had any hangups with the new version, please post to give everyone an idea how well it is working.
For me it has been just fine so far.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Successful 6.4 users please post...

Perfect over here to. I dig the new plug in manager. I wish you could customize it though but it's really helpful.

Other than that all is good in PT landd.

Power MAc 2x2 G5
002 Rack
Waves Platinum
Jesus
Old 04-25-2004, 12:05 AM

No problems over here. Runs like a dream. Other than the plug folders (which you can't miss) I haven't yet run into any of the new features. Its life as usual: solid. So far, so good, but I haven't had any really long recordings, yet. That threw up some glitches before, but I'll get around to testing that as I may. As it is, I'm really pleased. And quite grateful for the free upgrade.

The core audio seems to work really well, too. It'll gurgle for a moment as it kicks in the first time I play something from an app, but I really can't complain: video editing (or watching a DVD) with the audio through the monitors is kinda cool.

Haven't tried it on the PC (its in the shop...), but my guess is that's when it will get "interesting" if its going to.

Take care,
Chris

Powerbook G4, 1.25g, 512m. OS 10.3.2
Mbox & 002
Old 04-25-2004, 07:53 AM

CoreAudio seems a little unreliable with a number of apps / Bombfactory Tuner plugin doesn't work anymore.
Everything else seems ok.
(Some nice little UI changes)
Old 04-25-2004, 11:21 AM

I couldn't authorize my D-Fi plug ins but a reply from DIGI fixed that quickly. Everything is working great now, I love the +12dB above 0 on the faders! and the integrated transport in the toolbar. Overall it's a great update. I wish that some of the TDM updates were in the LE version but I guess i'll just have to save my money. Still one hang up though, DV Toolkit still doesn't save the timecode preferences, I still have to change my main timeline to timecode each time I open it. But I've been doing it for a year so it's like second nature. Good update!

Old 04-26-2004, 11:41 PM

6.4 works great for me so far. I had to install the updated version of the free BF plugins to get the tuner to work.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:18 AM

6.4 running very well for me on 17" Pbook 1gigram/10.3.3/reason 2.5/mbox.
I like the transport at the top of the edit window and the plug folders, but by far the best news (that Digi don't even mention!) is that they've fixed the 164 sample recording latency for the mbox with mac!
Well done Digi!
Old 04-27-2004, 12:24 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention, great that you can now use core audio to listen to DVDs from DVD Player into Mbox.
I hadn't expected that to happen.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:56 AM

k im posting.........all good
Old 04-27-2004, 02:34 AM

Alright - after a few days living with 6.4 here's the

PROS: For some reason PT seems snappier with a lot of plugins running - I actually get way more plugs running now at the same time without any numbered error message. In fact for the very first time since I use PT (6.1) the performance indicator (which has changed outfit slightly as well) gives me the real performance - which wasn't the case with previous versions of 6 ... almost (it still shows little spikes every now and then but as I said: it keeps on running).

CONTRAS: Quicktime keeps crashing as soon after approximately 5 seconds ... each song. iTunes works fine though - strange!
One really big annoying thing is the circumstance that PT shows yet another numbered error message whenever I touch a slider/knob or any other graphical user intterface item on ANY plugin (also the default DIGI plugins). Very irritating.

On a side note it also happened on my machine that a few apps were thrown out of my CoreAudio Setup - but that's ok.

Unfortunately CoreAudio in general is still quite one messy little bastard - and now (even worse then before) quickly loses track as to what's going on. When you constantly work with some different kind of audio app (eg. Grageband - which I use frequently for their unreal guitar AU plug, iTunes, etc ...) CoreAudio easily gets confused and it happened to me more than twice that I had to hard restart my DIGI002R and in one case the whole G5.

To sum things up: PT 6.4 is GO - where's CoreAudio is still a definite NO. Where PT shines (and I stability is one big bonus) CoreAudio sucks big time. I'd say to Digidesign: either give the CoreAudio developer more money or a new job. But hire a few more devs to enhance PT with some funtionality as seen in other audio production apps - I could name a few but don't wanna repeat myself.

Please let me know if you experience similar behaviour as described above so I can check back whether I need to fine tune things or get a live until 6.5

Cheers.
PS: and I still believe my sporadical G5 freezes are somewhat related to CoreAudio - it happened to me just today again that I opened a track in iTunes and the machine would simply get stuck - no mouse movement no nothing and the 002 just spits out some white noise. Unfortunately I can not prove this to be the deal since it also freezes occasionally when I don't use an Audio app. But I installed the system 'freshly' 2 times and freezes occur after I install DIGI CoreAudio. Could be some thread/task problem that holds the connection to the 002 device - but who am I to assume?