Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-22-2003, 06:46 AM

Default Synchronisation question please....help help!!

My new G5 and 002 is working great!! No problem whatsoever.....however, my previous machine that I'm planning to keep on using along with PT, cannot sync with PT. I'm using Cubase VST/24(old), with yamaha 2416(DSP Factory) that has a spdif out. My cubase is using a Motu pocket express that has SMPTE in and out. All I need to do is to sync em, doesn't matter which is master or slave, as long as hey can sync together.

I search the website, and found instructions of syncing 002 and vs-880, i tried it, check and recheck but nothing.

Anyone pleaseeeeeeeee help. I need this 2 machines to work together.

Thank you so much...

Arvid
Old 11-22-2003, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Synchronisation question please....help help!!

I synced a VS-880 and my 002-r last weekend...I don't remember the settings on the VS-880 but I know I had the 880 connected directly to the 002-r's midi ports, and I setup PT to spit out MIDI Time code to the ports on the 002, and set up the 880 to be online as the MMC slave, and voila. It was quite fun.

~John
Mac OS X 10.7.3
Pro Tools 9.0.6
M-Audio Profire 2626

Kurzweil PC1x & M-Audio Keystation 61es
Old 11-22-2003, 09:35 AM

Hey, do you mind finding out abit of the details of what u did? Cause the instructions i got through the digidesign website that wasnt successfull was Pt being slave....if you can tell me how did you get PT to spit out the TC, that would be great, cause I certainly know how to get my PC machine to be slave. If i can get PT to spit out TC, I can almost definitely get the 2 machine to sync.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2003, 05:50 PM

Hi,

It's actually quite easy to get this setup to work. On the VS-880, I don't remember the specifics like I said but in the system settings you can set it to be the MMC Master or MMC Slave, set this to slave. Then press "play" on the 880, the play light will blink indicating that it's online. In Pro Tools, hit command+2 (2 on the number keypad) to open the session status (or session setup) window, and there's a section I don't remember it's exact name but open that up and there will be an option under Generate Time Code where you can click "MTC to Port" and then choose an output port, click that and make sure you have a MIDI out cable connected to that port that you specified, and connect the other end to the VS-880's MIDI In jack, and hit play in PT, you should be rockin' out.

Hope this helps.
~John
Mac OS X 10.7.3
Pro Tools 9.0.6
M-Audio Profire 2626

Old 11-22-2003, 08:51 PM

I tried what u said, in theory it should work, but somehow it didn't. The midi led is showing midi input in my PC midi interface, but somehow its just not syncing, I gacve up, so i striped timecode into PT, and sync it the old fashion way......audio out smpte into smpte in at my PC. And VOILA!!!

I'm a happy man, not the best way, but happy!!
Old 11-22-2003, 10:33 PM

Jb, you know what? your method worked!! Actually the first time it didn't sync, then i tried recording the TC, then when i played it, it synced, however it's the MIDI that syncing....I found out about that later...hahaha..

The TC striping also worked! Now I am the master of synchronisation!! Master of my domain!
Old 11-24-2003, 07:22 AM

I'm glad it's all working, but I have to ask - you sync'd pro tools LE via smpte?
Mac OS X 10.7.3
Pro Tools 9.0.6
M-Audio Profire 2626